Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhughes82

I have downloaded TurboTax Deluxe on a Win7 computer that is dying. How do I access the program on my new Win10 computer? (Data is no problem; it's on a flash drive.)

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I have downloaded TurboTax Deluxe on a Win7 computer that is dying. How do I access the program on my new Win10 computer? (Data is no problem; it's on a flash drive.)

You install it the same way.  

If you need to download your program…..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-download-the-software-i-purchased-at-turb...

Access your downloads here

https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/commerce/account/secure/login.jsp?pagecontext=download

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

Simple ... install the program on the new computer the same way you did on the old computer.  Install, update and then start a fake return so you can add the state program ... then you can open any tax files you have saved. 

jhughes82

Thanks, but the 2018 download isn't on the list.  There is no blue download button.  I have the order number and receipt for the purchase.  I downloaded it on the old computer, but I need to find it for re-download on the new machine.  Any ideas?

If you purchased a 2018 software download directly from TurboTax, it should be in your downloads section at this link.
https://shopping.turbotax.intuit.com/app/downloads/

If it's there, but there is no blue download button, then try a different browser.

If the download is not there at all, here's how to look for multiple online accounts.   Many people end up with more than one account without realizing it.  You can have up to 5 accounts that use the same email address for notification purposes.  A User ID may be an email address, but it doesn't have to be.  It might be only part of an email address, or it can be anything at all.

To get a list of your User IDs and recover account access, you can use the tool at the link below.  Try using your phone number first.   After that, if necessary, then run the tool on your email address(es) you can access.

NOTE: Before running the account recovery tool below, log out of all Intuit accounts including this user forum, or you might end up in a loop.  Then clear your browser Internet cache, close your browser, then reopen it, and go to the link below.  You may wish to copy this link so you can paste it into the new browser session.

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If still no luck after running that on your phone number and email address(es) that you can access,  here's another method:

Go back to the tool again, but this time leave the data field blank, and choose the small blue link that says "Try something else", and it will look you up by SSN and other parameters.

Carl
Level 15

I would fully expect the downloaded program to still be in the downloads folder of the Win 7 computer, unless you deleted it. Just copy it to the flash drive and transfer it that way.

jhughes82

That's was it, mesquitebean.  Thank you!  I was victim to "Many people end up with more than one account without realizing it. "  Found an account under my email address that was different from the account under a user name.  Both use the same email address for notification as you postulated.  Not only did I find my 2018 download but also the 2016.  So I now have the last 3 years all on one (new) computer, so I should be good.  Thanks so very much!

You're welcome.  Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies