Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have been trying to help my son to get the stimulus checks

He hasn't worked in 10 years and during this time we claimed him as a dependent until I retired. I have not filed taxes since 2016 or 2017, since I only get SSI, which is not taxable. Now my son has NEVER received any of these stimulus checks and we have heard it was because he hasn't filed taxes. Is this true and how can I help  him file, and also heard he would have to file before the dead line or he would not be able to receive them.

He is 46 and has not been able to work for health reasons.

Please help us 

Dolores

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If he was not able to be claimed as someone else's dependent, then he will most likely qualify for stimulus payments. He'll need to file a tax return for 2020 to receive the stimulus payments.

When you prepare a tax return for 2020 in TurboTax, you will be prompted to enter how much was received for your stimulus and then the program will calculate the amount of stimulus due you. If any  stimulus is due you, it will be used to reduce your 2020 income tax liability, if any,  and the balance will be refunded to you.

You will see the options when you are done entering your tax information and proceed to the review process.

The third stimulus check will be sent separate from your refund once you file your 2020 tax return.

You can file a tax return in 2020 to get your stimulus check, even if you aren't required to otherwise.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

ThomasM125,

Thank you so much.

I have been trying to do his taxes, but I can't get his acct loaded .... it keeps taking me to MY  turbo tax acct.

I also would like to know if it is possible to talk with you or someone privately, (like by phone, email or messenger) as there are a couple of things I need to ask and don't want to post.

I am 68, recently widowed and I am a terrible typist, plus I am not very good at doing tax things.

I hope that you or someone could help walk me thru with all these questions.

Sincerely,

Dolores

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

Here is a Help Article that will help you contact TurboTax. Please note that this close to the deadline, the wait time is longer than normal. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies