Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

If anyone gets to know more about this peculiar situation then pls keep everyone posted

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

Same Boat, I got my spouse SSN on dec/jan, not sure how was missed while 2019 filing return, if I send now to IRS (after lock down end), will it be eligible to receive stimulus check?

Me and Satya are in the same boat. An amendment will not work at this time. Please look for the process to surrender your ITIN. I mailed IRS asking them to rescind ITIN and replace it with SSN. Planning to visit IRS once the field offices open. As per the eligibility, any one who has a SSN before last date of 2019 tax filing will be eligible

"As per the eligibility, any one who has a SSN before last date of 2019 tax filing will be eligible"

did you get this from trusted source?

But it says  if you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

If you see the Question #33 , this is what it says:

"If you are considered a U.S. resident alien for 2020 but not for 2019, you can claim the Payment when you file Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR with the IRS for tax year 2020."

Does this mean, if you get SSN in year 2020 will you become eligible stimulus payment when you file next year tax filing ?

Here is the text from IRS

A15. A valid SSN for a Payment is one that is valid for employment and is issued by the SSA before the due date of your 2019 tax return (including the filing deadline postponement to July 15 and an extension to October 15 if you request it) or your 2018 tax return (including extensions) if you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return.

Emphasize on the word “OR”

This is what I could understand but then I might be wrong 

In 2018 I filed jointly with SSN + ITIN but both of us had an SSN during 2019. Somehow the SSN didn't get filed when I submitted our 2019 tax returns jointly. I even remember changing the SSN numbers, sadly.

Since the IRS local offices are closed for COVID-19, you can't convert the filed tax records in person. I just mailed off the paperwork to the IRS to switch the tax records. See "What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?" at the link below:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/additional-itin-information

Crossing my fingers we'll both get stimulus money since both of us get "Payment Status Not Available" when trying to use "Get My Payment" at the IRS now.

ItsMark

Soma1978

I am on the same boat. I am H1 holder my wife has H4 as well ITIN number, my kid is US citizen. We jointly filed taxes every year for last 11 years but suddenly this clause gave us a shock. US government issued ITIN and H4 but now they are saying ITIN means unauthorized or illegal immigrants what an irony!!! How can a legal tax doc issued by government get accepted while filing Joint returns but gets ignored and labeled as illegal during pay back? This shows the blatant hypocrisy of this government. Now US citizens and SSN holders also not getting this payment because one of the family member, my spouse in this case doesn’t have SSN. This system is really broken and full of some racist and anti immigrant morons! It’s a disgrace that my kid being citizen with valid SSN is deprived due to 1 ITIN holder in the family while this useless government is issuing checks for international students. At least, citizens and SSN holders in a family should be eligible and not expected to be knocked off with mere excuse of ITIN existence. It’s a shame for this government to turn a blind on citizen’s rights!

Totally agree with you! In a way they are punishing US citizens for being married to immigrants or born to immigrant parents. 

Even I have not received stimulus check . I have SSN and my spouse has ITIN. Don’t why they are not sending check  atleast for a member who has SSN . Instead they ignored the complete family . This RULE is affecting lot of people I think . They should have given money based on number of members in the family having SSN instead of ignoring  the entire family . 

I'm in similar situation however my wife got her SSN card in May of 2018 but I never updated our tax returns. I never noticed that 2018 and 2019 return I was still using her ITIN because thats what we had when we were overseas. She didnt get her SSN until she arrived in the US. 

I spoke to my family's accountant and he said I should be able to amend the prior year with her SSN to get the stimulus. He also mentioned I should try going in person to local IRS office and explain to them the situation. I can also show her SSN card that has the date it was issued.  I just now have to wait until local office opens back up to see if they can update her SSN or if I need to amend my return so that I can get the stimulus. Myself and my 3 kids all have SSN that were used on my returns but since she had her ITIN, then we don't get the stimulus. I hope this can be easy fix and resolved.

Does anyone know if I can go into local IRS office and get it resolved or will I still need to amend the return?

mnvsn

I am also in the same boat. I also have ssn but filed with itin. can we do amendment to update ssn?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies