Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

H1B SSN + H4 ITIN + CHILD SSN is applicable for stimulus check payments ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

112 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

The IRS no longer will accept an amended return that is amended to change from an ITIN to a SSN.  The SSN must be on the originally filed return.  Only taxpayers will SSN will receive the stimulus payment (assuming they qualify).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your quick response.

mixed combination with SSN and ITIN are eligible for stimulus check payments?

Example H1B SSN + H4 ITIN + CHILD SSN is applicable for stimulus check payments?
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Your spouse cannot get a stimulus check if she does not have a SSN.  You would received $1,200 + $500 for your child if your child qualifies and  he/she was listed on your tax return.

But I haven’t received any funds to my ban account even though me and my two kids(2 years old) have SSN. Do you have any idea or did you come across with same case with anyone?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

The CARES Act (H.R 748) is written in such a way that unless everyone on the tax return has a social security number, nobody on the tax return gets a stimulus paymentSee the section (g) Identification Number Requirement starting on the bottom of page 149 of the Care...

There is an exception (see bottom of page 150) if at least one spouse was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the year and at least one spouse has a social security number.

I believe u will not get. This rule is horrible. Just because one spouse has ITIN, all are precluded from the benefit. Same is with me.

Kayxolio

I’m upset over this dumb rule! My husband has an ITIN, I am a born and raised US citizen with 5children. We pay our taxes! We’re struggling during this pandemic and get ZERO help. I’m a nurse and working my butt off and TRUMP makes sure to stand tall about excluding the ENTIRE family. This is complete BS. But that’s ok, I’ll continue to work hard for my family and my patients!! #INTHISTOGETHER

ITIN will be replaced with SSN on current and previous returns once you write a letter to the IRS(including a copy of CP565/ITIN# and SSN) and letting them know that you got your SSN. 

When we filed the 2019 returns we still had ITIN. 

The question is can we claim the stimulus check once the ITINs are replaced with SSN on 2019 tax returns? 

SSNs arrived before the tax return due date. 

ksri999

I think stimulus check is part of 2020 tax credit. So I read some blogs saying that if your income reduces or have a new child in 2020, you will get the stimulus check  when you file tax returns in 2021 according to that. I think If you are able to get SSN for your wife now and you may get the tax credit or stimulus check when you apply 2020 tax returns in 2021. I am not 100% sure on this. But you can try. May be tax experts can shed some light on this.

I am in the same situation, I am a born and raised US citizen and my husband and I file together he uses an ITIN and I use a SSN. I am a frontline worker , a respiratory therapist. Who goes into work every day during this pandemic, my husband is out of work. And we don’t get the stimulus, I am beyond upset at our government leaders and feel completely abandoned by our president. 

same boat

You will get it in 2021 when you file 2020 tax return!!! Be patient!!!

Other Features of the 2020 Recovery Rebates  SSN Requirement: Taxpayers must provide a Social Security number (SSN) for themselves, their spouse (if married filing jointly), and any child for whom they claim the $500 child credit. Adoption taxpayer ID numbers (ATINs) are also acceptable for adopted children. Taxpayers who provide an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) are ineligible for the credit. Hence, married couples in which one spouse has an SSN and another has an ITIN are generally ineligible for the credit.  The law relaxes these ID requirements for married joint filers in which at least one spouse is a member of the Armed Forces. In those cases, only one spouse must provide an SSN.

This is the rule feature, there is a bug or Gap for those who filed 2019 with one SSN and one itin but received the SSN in 2020. No idea how IRS will handle this.

I m in the same situation. I used my wife’s ITIN instead of her SSN and now trying to change it. I will wait for IRS field offices to open

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies