Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marcopolo2722
Returning Member

I have a paycheck from last year we’re my taxes we’re not deducted. I have all my other W2 forms except from that one specific employer. Is it okay if I can still file?

I asked my old boss does that mean I have I owe the IRS money for this tax season and she said yes without giving me further information and wouldn’t speak to me again. What should I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I have a paycheck from last year we’re my taxes we’re not deducted. I have all my other W2 forms except from that one specific employer. Is it okay if I can still file?

Every 2022 W-2 that you have must be entered on your 2022 tax return, regardless of whether the employer withheld federal tax.  The employer reported your income to the IRS, and the income you enter must match the income that was reported to the IRS.

Your question is kind of confusing.  Do you mean that employer only gave you a paycheck but is not going to issue a W-2?  Do you have a pay stub?  Was any tax withheld?  Did she pay you as an independent contractor instead of as an employee?   

Give us some details.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
marcopolo2722
Returning Member

I have a pay stub but it only shows the invoice date, invoice number, my gross amount which was $342.21 and the net amount as the same. On the back of the pay stub, it’s printed line to line “not negotiable”.  The woman I spoke with on the phone told me I would receive a W2 form when I asked about it last year as well. I have all my other W2 forms from my previous employers except this one specifically and I don’t want to file everything just yet. 

@marcopolo2722 Employers have until January 31 to issue W-2's and that is still a couple of days from now.  Try calling them tomorrow and make sure they have the right address to send your W-2.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
marcopolo2722
Returning Member

They decided to send me my paycheck through mail (which I don’t know why) and the check came to my correct location. Is this legal at all?

Is it legal to mail your paycheck?  We do not answer legal questions, but mailing a final paycheck to an employee is not unusual or illegal.   You do not say what happened----why you left the employer.....but if you quit or were fired ... they could mail your paycheck to you.    So it sounds like they had your address.  I suggest calling them anyhow to make sure they know you are expecting a W-2.  

marcopolo2722
Returning Member

So more specifically, I was fired because my old boss found out I was leaving the job for something better, they really needed people there and she didn’t like that very much, I was only there for a week to find something else while working. I got into an minor incident sadly which gave me the boot. When I texted her about why taxes weren’t deducted and if I owed the IRS money, she told me yes and to not speak with her again and she wouldn’t respond back to me again. Their phone number from the job has changed, so what do you think would be my best option?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No, you should not file until you have the W-2.  It it's still January, so sit tight. Employers have until January 31 to mail out W-2s, which means your W-2 should arrive any day now.  For additional information on what to do if you don't receive your W-2, click on the following TurboTax help article:  What if it's February but I still don't have my W-2?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies