turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got an email saying someone is trying to use my information on a different account. How do I find out if this is a legitimate email? I've already filed my taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

I got an email saying someone is trying to use my information on a different account. How do I find out if this is a legitimate email? I've already filed my taxes.

TurboTax is committed to protecting your personal information. If we detect that your information is used in more than one account, we'll notify you to make sure that you recognize the activity.

If you were notified that a tax return that contains your information is being filed and that the return is being placed on hold for 48 hours, this may be a signal that someone is trying to use your identity to file a tax return. The return has been placed on hold to give you an opportunity to cancel it if it doesn't belong to you.

If you received this notification unexpectedly, or if you aren't currently filing your taxes with TurboTax, it's important that you call TurboTax Customer Support at the number provided in your email. After the 48 hour period is over, TurboTax will transmit the return in accordance with IRS regulations.

Here are some other reasons you may have received this email:

• You have used TurboTax in the past and are using a different account this year. This can including moving from our CD/Download product to our Online product.
  • You changed your filing status from last year, and for that reason, are filing with a different TurboTax account this year.
  • You have created multiple TurboTax accounts this year or in prior years.

If you haven't taken any of the actions noted above, it may indicate that someone is trying to use your information to file a tax return. Contact us and one of our agents can assist you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lo14

How do I contact you about this?  I filed my tax return in February 2020.  Please contact me with an answer.  Thank. you.

@Lo14 wrote:

How do I contact you about this?  I filed my tax return in February 2020.  Please contact me with an answer.  Thank. you.

Support hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern), Mon-Fri

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

peach1445

I know this isn't legitimate as I haven't even started my taxes!

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you believe this is an attempt for someone to gain access to your personal information, see this FAQ on How to avoid a phishing scam.

I must say that your customer service rep Tan is a REAL keeper! She helped me sort out my problem, and was very understanding of my situation. she kept me smiling even though she couldn't see me, and understood my problem, and assured me that she was there to help. Tan J. and her team were AWESOME!

I was the one that used a different account. I no longer have the 9605 phone number. I changed my information on my file to my new number which is [phone number removed].

Please let me know what I need to do next, so I can get my refund.

Thank you

[removed]

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

@Rosebud-69 This is a public internet forum, so your telephone number has been removed for your protection. Just to clarify, you updated your telephone number in TurboTax and now you are ready to file your tax return?

If you have updated your TurboTax account, you can just go ahead and file your tax return as usual. If you need further assistance, please feel free to post your question in this thread.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies