turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got a letter from EFTPS saying my information doesn't match what IRS has on file, will this affect my federal tax return I'm suppose to have direct deposited??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

I got a letter from EFTPS saying my information doesn't match what IRS has on file, will this affect my federal tax return I'm suppose to have direct deposited??

It depends on what types of payments you made through EFTPS. If you made individual tax payments, such as estimated tax payments, then it will affect your federal tax return.

For example, if you said you made $4,000 in estimated tax payments and the IRS only has a record of $3,000 then they will reduce your refund by $1,000. If you paid your 2019 balance due through EFTPS and they have no record, they may adjust your refund.

You can call the IRS. Sometimes they put payments into the wrong account or the wrong tax year. Call 1-800-829-1040. Be aware. The phone lines are backed up. The IRS opens at 7 a.m. local time in every time zone. The earlier you call, the better your chance of speaking with someone.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is also my first year filing taxes

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

The EFTPS is a payment system to the US Treasury.  While it can be used for personal taxes, few people use it for this purpose because it is a bit complex.  Most use it to remit business payroll taxes (like withholdings for Social Security and Medicare, for example).  While we in this forum cannot answer what information doesn't match the EFTPS database, it is a separate system that should not affect your refund being direct deposited.  And if you'd like to provide a little more clarifying information, feel free to do so.

I never tried to enroll in EFTPS

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

The privacy and security of your tax information is as important to us as it is to you. We take these concerns very seriously.

If you believe you have been a victim of tax-related identity theft, contact us right away.

You will also want to:

1. Most importantly, follow the IRS procedures for reporting a fraudulent return.
  2. Monitor your credit reports through TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian for any suspicious activity.
  3. File a police report with your local law enforcement agency.
  4. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at Identitytheft.gov or the FTC Identity Theft Hotline at 1-877-438-4338 or TTY 1-866-653-4261.

If your Social Security number is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, take these additional steps:

• Respond immediately to any IRS notice; call the number provided
  • Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit and print and mail or fax according to the instructions
  • Continue to pay your taxes and file your tax return, even if you must do so by paper
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies