turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmartz773

I filed married/joint, will the stimulus check go to my direct deposit for me and my wife together ($2,400) as one like our taxes or will it be separate? (1,200) each

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I filed married/joint, will the stimulus check go to my direct deposit for me and my wife together ($2,400) as one like our taxes or will it be separate? (1,200) each

Likely be one check but I have not seen anything authoritative on this. 

jmartz773

So will it be $2400 being direct deposited (for me and my wife), or just $1200, trying to figure out if they will be adding my wife to it... or if it will be just myself

@jmartz773 wrote:

So will it be $2400 being direct deposited (for me and my wife), or just $1200, trying to figure out if they will be adding my wife to it... or if it will be just myself

See this IRS website for stimulus payment information - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

U.S. residents will receive the Economic Impact Payment of $1,200 for individual or head of household filers, and $2,400 for married filing jointly if they are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a work eligible Social Security number with adjusted gross income up to:

• $75,000 for individuals
  • $112,500 for head of household filers and
  • $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns

The check will have both names on it if it’s handled the way refund checks are. For direct deposit it can be deposited in a joint or separate account. 

My husband and I filed jointly this year but had a federal refund deposit into separate accounts but the stimulus refund went into just his account. I think they take the first account listed on the tax return for the stimulus check  If you filed jointly. It would have been nice for them to separate it though!

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

@JCalloway71

You are correct. I am sure that with the speed at which all this came together, the IRS needed to take the simplest way to get money to the taxpayers.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Couple filed 2018 return jointly as married.  Will stimulus check be made jointly in the amount of 2,400.00

@Bella15190 wrote:

Couple filed 2018 return jointly as married.  Will stimulus check be made jointly in the amount of 2,400.00

The stimulus payment will be paid jointly in one amount of $2,400

MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

@Bella15190

If you have not yet filed your 2019 return, the IRS will use your 2018 tax return to calculate your stimulus payment and you will receive one stimulus payment for $2,400 (if your joint income is less than $150,000).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies