turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HRCarlson

I filed an extension and can't find my return to finish it. I have the downloaded 2018 business version.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I filed an extension and can't find my return to finish it. I have the downloaded 2018 business version.

If you e-filed the 2018 extension request then you used the TurboTax online editions.

You have to sign onto your 2018 online account using the exact same user ID you used to create the 2018 online account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the user ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your 2018 account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

Do you mean you have desktop Home and Business?  If you used desktop software that you downloaded, the tax file on on your own hard drive.  You will not find it in an online account.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901659-find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900721-find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows

When you requested your extension you were supposed to pay your estimated tax due.  Did you enter the payment you made into your tax return?  Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Other Income Taxes  This will show up on line 17 of your Form 1040

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
HRCarlson

I do have the home & business desktop version. I filed an extension and paid the estimated tax due. Now I want to finish my taxes and can't find the forms or information I already entered for the extension. Do I have to start a whole new return? Where can I see a copy of the extension I filed? 

In desktop TurboTax YOU have to save the file when you prepare a return.  Did you save it?  Have you searched your hard drive?  Your own hard drive is the only place it would be, unless you also saved it to a back up device like a flash drive.

You do not need to find your extension in order to file your return.  If you submitted it then the IRS already knows you have an extension.  You do not send it again with the tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you e-filed the extension request then you had to use the TurboTax online editions.  If you started a 2018 tax return with the online editions, then you can download the tax data file and continue the tax return with the desktop edition you purchased.

To access your current online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

See this TurboTax support FAQ for saving the tax data file from the online edition to your computer - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

Start the TurboTax desktop software.  Click on the File menu at the top left of the program screen.  Click on Open Tax Return.  Browse to the location where you downloaded the tax data file.

HRCarlson

I tried the link above and nothing came up in my search. I do have confirmation for the form submission and acceptance. Just can't find the form! Is it possible it wasn't saved and is lost? 

HRCarlson

My software has an option to file an extension, however, I can't remember if it directed me to the online version or not. When signed in it doesn't have any forms :( I started everything on my mac. Guess I'll just have to start over. 

Thank you for the info.

HRCarlson

While I appreciate the capitalized and italicized breakdown. I'm not completely out of it.  filed my own taxes and saved it to MY computer. And yes, I've searched my desktop. I'll just start over.

If you want to verify that the e-filed extension request was e-filed and accepted by the IRS use this TurboTax website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies