Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rltz2017

I e-filed my NY return but when I printed the cover sheet it says to sign and date efile signature authorization within one day of acceptance. Not sure where to find form

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

I e-filed my NY return but when I printed the cover sheet it says to sign and date efile signature authorization within one day of acceptance. Not sure where to find form

Please see this link for the Electronic Signature Authorization Form:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8879.pdf

Form 8879 is an electronic signature document that is used to authorize e-filing. It is generated by the software using both the taxpayer's self-selected PIN and the Electronic Return Originator's (ERO's) Practitioner PIN. 

Purpose of Form Form 8879 is the declaration document and signature authorization for an e-filed return filed by an electronic return originator (ERO). Complete Form 8879 when the Practitioner PIN method is used or when the taxpayer authorizes the ERO to enter or generate the taxpayer’s personal identification number (PIN) on his  on his or her e-filed individual income tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lcg4268

After signing the attached form, do I need to send it anywhere? Is this just for my records?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@lcg4268

The e-file authorization form is just for your records. Stick it in your tax file.

I'm confused. I remember signing the Taxpayer Declaration and Signature Authorization on form 8879, but I'm not sure whether it was on the Federal or State return. So,  why am I told to "sign and date the Authorization within 1 day of acceptance"? That sounds like my return is not complete until I do so. Since Form 8879 is a Federal form, does that mean I need to do something else for my NY State return?

An answer below says Form 8879 is only for my records.  If that is correct, the instruction on "What you need to sign" would have been much clearer if it had included "for your records."

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Support will be able to confirm if everything was completed 
Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact Customer Support: What is the TurboTax phone number?

I am having the same problem.  I e-filed my NYS tax return and on the instruction cover sheet it says my taxes are not finished until all required steps are completed.  The required step is to sign and date E-File Signature Authorization within 1 day of acceptance.  When I logged in turbotax it does not allow me to sign because the tax return was transmitted. I called TurboTax support but didn't really get an answer to my question.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Does it show that your NYS return is accepted in Turbo Tax or still pending? If accepted, you don't need to do anything.

Yes.  Thanks,

Appreciate the replies here, but the TurboTax cover sheet for the state return explicitly states this:

"Sign and date E-File Signature Authorization within 1 day of acceptance"

We've never done that and, yet, the state has always processed the returns and refunds.  

Given that, why does TurboTax say that on the state cover sheet?

The reference in this thread to the Federal form 8897 also makes no sense as TurboTax only puts that on the *state* cover sheet, not the federal one.  

I agree with the earlier poster who wrote that, as a minimum, TT should state, "for your records".  But, even better, it should be eliminated or changed to something meaningful, with explicit directions on what we are supposed to do.

Hope we can get some clarification for 2023 from the gurus around here, both Intuit's and the community's!

Thanks.  Look forward to people's follow-ups!

I had the same question. I used Turbotax to file my NY state return. The Turbotax electronic filing instructions (generated upon filing) had the same notation for "What You Need to Sign" (i.e., "Sign and date E-File Signature Authorization within 1 day of acceptance."). One day after filing I received notice from Turbotax that the return was "accepted." It appears there is nothing more to do. This is confusing, as the instructions suggest some further action must be taken. 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

As long as your return is accepted, you are fine and do not have to do anything further.

This form is for your records. I would keep all of your documents related to your taxes together in a file just for your own records.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

Thanks, Linda!

William. I, and others discovered that the form isn't even needed.  Hope you can pass along our experiences and recommendations to the software designers.  Given what you've stated, and our combined success at filing without the form, that message should NOT be part of the cover sheet for anyone's NY return!

As we described, the message there is also baffling, doesn't even mention that form, and it makes no sense anyway as it is a federal form, and this is a state return!

Hope you understand our frustration and the confusion that message induces!

Please ask them to remove it.  If for some reason (??!!), they feel it must remain, then see earlier in thread for specifics about language changes.

But, really, it shouldn't even be there, so I hope you can talk to those in charge and get them to delete that obscure, misleading, and disconcerting message.

Thanks, in advance, for your efforts on our behalf!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies