Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ae3conley

I didnt think i had any insurance where i worked but i did i was signed up and was unaware how can i fix it on my return after its been accepted.

When I filed my taxes I wasnt aware that i was paying for insurance at work and i need to add it yo my return how do i do that after i have already submitted it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I didnt think i had any insurance where i worked but i did i was signed up and was unaware how can i fix it on my return after its been accepted.

@Ae3conley 

If you e-filed your return, you won't be able to change it. It's like putting a letter in the mailbox. You can't retrieve it.

• You'll have to wait until the IRS accepts or rejects your return.
  • The IRS has announced that they will begin accepting and processing 2020 individual tax returns on February 12, 2021.

If your return gets rejected, you'll be able to change it and submit the corrected return.

If your return gets accepted:

• The IRS or state may correct your return. If you agree with the correction, you don't have to amend your return.
  • If the IRS or state does not correct your return, you'll have to amend your income tax return.
  • NOTE: At this time, you're not able to amend a 2020 income tax return. As of today, it's estimated that the IRS will finalize the 1040X form on 2/18/2021. However check the forms availability to see any updates to that date. 
  • If you need to amend your state return, see How do I contact my state Department of Revenue? to see when you can amend your income tax return. Also, see I need to amend my state return.

Note: Generally, Form 1040-X,  Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, must be filed within three years of the date the original return was filed, or within two years of the date the tax was paid, whichever is later.

Additional information: Do I need to amend? 

[Edited 2/8/2021|8:03 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi! I also needed to amend my return; I filled out the form to retrieve my taxes before February 6th and was told I would get an email with instructions today, February 8th. Still have not heard anything; does this mean my taxes cannot be retrieved??  

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You would only get the email if you were updating information about the Recovery Rebate.   If you need to make changes to any other part of your return, you will have to wait until the return is either accepted or rejected.  

Amending your return means filing a new form, 1040X. This is only required in certain situations.  In other situations, you can change your original return and you should not file a new form.

Do I need to amend?   @normac2021

That's why I filled out the form - to update info about my Recovery Rebate!! So I should have gotten an email and didn't! I'm sorry to post in the amends section, I just can't find help anywhere else.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

If you are posting about health insurance, there is no penalty for not having health insurance this year.  If you had insurance through your employer, it would most be on a form 1095B or 1095C.  No information from either of those forms will be entered anywhere on your tax returns.  

Having said that, if you signed up with TurboTax to have your return accessed to make corrections by 6 Feb, you will get an email with instructions on how to proceed.

I signed up by Feb. 6th and haven't gotten any email with instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies