Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can't import data from last year's PDF file - turbotax says the file is invalid.

I'm trying to import the data from a pdf file created by the 2019 CD version of TT into this this year's online version (2020).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I can't import data from last year's PDF file - turbotax says the file is invalid.

This isn't a "solution," it's a work around for a TT bug. Fixing the TT bug is the solution. 

TT forced me to use the online version because I use Windows 7. I will sill be using Windows 7 next tax season, but I won't be using TT. I would think most if not all Windows 7 users will avoid Turbotax online next year as well, which is about 22% of all Windows users - which I would think maps to around 20% of all TT customers. Sell Intuit now.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Don't you have the .tax2019 file?  You need to use that one.  Even if you get the pdf transferred it is very limited.

First of all it needs to be the actual electronic pdf file generated from the program.  Not a file you scanned in from a paper tax return.

Transfer a PDF into the Online version.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

The FAQ says.......

From a PDF—which will transfer your personal info and your AGI to give you a head start.

If you can find the data file, .tax2019 

You will need to have the .tax2019 file on your computer.  If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version, expand the blue link if you used the CD/download last year........

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

If you already started an online return you will have to clear it and start over to transfer.  How to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

If you used the Desktop program before you may not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2020 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

There ISN'T a "left menu" or a "drop-down tax tools menu" as described in the instructions on how to import the .tax file rather than the .pdf file. The only things on the "left" (lower left) are an "Intuit Account" link and a "Sign Out" link.

You have to be inside your return for the menu items to show up.

Select Tax Home in the left menu.
Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you back into your return).

After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS

I'm at the online TT screen that asks if I want to import my data from last year's pdf tax file. Have I started a return by the time I get to that screen? If I have, then there is something wrong with online TT - there should be a "left menu" but there is not. If I haven't started a return when in this screen, then it's a catch 22 - I can't access the "left menus" to import .tax file data to start my return. Who ever designed the feature should be embarrassed about it.

This isn't a "solution," it's a work around for a TT bug. Fixing the TT bug is the solution. 

TT forced me to use the online version because I use Windows 7. I will sill be using Windows 7 next tax season, but I won't be using TT. I would think most if not all Windows 7 users will avoid Turbotax online next year as well, which is about 22% of all Windows users - which I would think maps to around 20% of all TT customers. Sell Intuit now.

Lakelife1
Returning Member

I am having a similar problem with my 2021 return (TT Deluxe CD for Mac), except the error message now reads

"This import was unsuccessful. We recommend you check you internet connection ..."

Strange. The internet connection works fine and the PDF was saved by TT2020 Deluxe for Mac.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a software problem from last year's edition? 

Sure don't like enter everything manually!

Any suggestions?

TT2021 error.png

I don't think the pdf transfer is working right in Mac.  And you really need to transfer from the tax file ending in .tax2020.  A pdf only transfers basic info like your name, address, ssn and AGI.  Try to find the .tax2020 file.  Might be in Documents or look in Finder.    How to find in Mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac/00/26206 

I had the same issue in TT last year. It appears to not be fixed this year. Consider this "feature" broken and enter your data manually. It's a pain, but I am not aware of a workaround.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies