Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am widower with two dependent children. Wife passed in 2018 and had some income which I included in last year's return. How is it best to file for 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am widower with two dependent children. Wife passed in 2018 and had some income which I included in last year's return. How is it best to file for 2019?

So sorry for your loss.  For the two years following the year that your spouse passed, you can file as a qualifying widower since you have qualified child dependents.  That gives your a higher standard deduction--reducing the amount of income you are taxed on.  You could have filed a joint return for 2018--is that what you did?

For 2019 and 2020 next year, file as a qualifying widower.  (assuming the children are still dependents for 2020)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Follow the interview screens and the program will lead you in the right direction ... in the MY INFO tab you report your MARITAL STATUS as widowed ... then once you complete the dependent section the program will suggest Qualifying Widow FILING STATUS which is the best option ...  you get this for the 2 years following the death of the spouse as long as you have qualifying dependents ... after that you change to Head of Household until the kids grow up.

So sorry for your loss.  For the two years following the year that your spouse passed, you can file as a qualifying widower since you have qualified child dependents.  That gives your a higher standard deduction--reducing the amount of income you are taxed on.  You could have filed a joint return for 2018--is that what you did?

For 2019 and 2020 next year, file as a qualifying widower.  (assuming the children are still dependents for 2020)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes, I was told I still had to file jointly, as my wife had had some income in 2018.

This will then be the first time I am supposed to file as "qualified widower", assuming I am doing it correctly.

Thank you,  

Thank you - that helps a lot!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies