turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am trying to get my ten digit customer ID number to get a copy of my tax transcript from the IRS. Where do I find this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies

I am trying to get my ten digit customer ID number to get a copy of my tax transcript from the IRS. Where do I find this?

The 10-digit Customer File Number serves as an alternative tracking number to match the transcript to the taxpayer for third-parties such as tax practitioners, lenders and college financial aid offices.

Leave the entry blank if you were not directed by a third-party to enter the number. 

I don't know what that means by "10-digit customer ID number." 

[ADDENDUM:  I see @ Mike9241 explained it above while I was typing.  🙂 ]

If you are trying to register an IRS account, here are the criteria needed to register as listed on the IRS website. 

You need:

• your SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from latest tax return,
  • access to your email account,
  • your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan, and
  • a mobile phone linked to your name (for faster registration) or ability to receive an activation code by mail.

I left the space blank as directed by this thread. My access for forbidden. Still looking to get a 10-digit customer Number from IRS.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You may need to create an account at the new IRS Online Portal.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I need the tracking number the customer fil number 😫 can't fine it I'm having a hard time 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You should first try entering all zeroes and if that doesn't work then you will need to register at the IRS for the 10 digit pin @BWATKINS84.

Create an IRS account here.

How do I my 10 digit number to check my transcript for my refund

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please refer to the post made by mesquitebean above for information regarding the ten-digit ID number. It can take up to 21 days to receive your refund.

The most accurate way to track your refund is through the IRS refund tracking through Where's My Refund?.   

Please review the article below.   

When will I get my IRS tax refund? - Community      

how do  i find the customer file number

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

I highly recommend that everyone create an online account on the IRS website to verify the status of returns, payments, refunds,  stimulus information and so much more.

Please click the link below to create an online account.   
Create IRS online account

The 10-digit Customer File Number is alternative tracking number to match a transcript to the taxpayer for third-parties such as tax preparers. You will not need that number to obtain a transcript for your own return.

• I am trying to get my ten digit customer ID number to get a copy of my tax transcript from IRS. Where do I find this?
MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please see the post above by @TeresaM for information regarding your 10-digit Customer File Number. 

@Maoleg16amg

I have jumped through the hoops to get ID.me verification. I have followed every step recommended so far. I get a message telling me:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://sa.www4.irs.gov/icce-core/load/gettrans/pages/availableTranscripts.xhtml" on this server.

Reference #18.[phone number removed]880720.fafca69

I am preparing my own taxes. I have tied a knot in the end of my rope and am hanging on for dear life.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please view the ID.me support website. 

https://help.id.me/hc/en-us/sections/360003279374-Troubleshooting

@labnabber66

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies