Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am trying to e-file HI state taxes and direct debit taxes due but TT says have to pay by check to e-file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

I am trying to e-file HI state taxes and direct debit taxes due but TT says have to pay by check to e-file?

You should be able to select direct debit as an option to pay your HI balance due.  Sign out of your return, go back in and through the File process again.

As an alternative you could choose to pay your balance on  Hawaii Tax Online, BUT remember to enter your payment (or future payment) on your tax return BEFORE filing.  To do this:

1. Click on FederalDeductions & Credits. 
  2. In the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section, click on the Start/Update box next to Estimated Tax Payments
  3. On the next screen, Did you pay state estimated taxes for 2019? click the Yes box.
  4. ​​​​​​​Enter your payment(s) on the next screen,

So, I made a hypothetical change to federal taxes after filing online and told it to ignore and discard the change. When I logged back in a couple weeks later, it had a balance due to federal (previous a refund) and the dependent change I tested did not restore when I said discard the edit.

There was no way to fix that online (but my transmitted and printed tax return was correct still). So I had to download the .tax file and I had a friend load it to their desktop version. He was able to add the dependent back in and proceed to try to file the HI state taxes online. After I was charged (I think now a 2nd time, the first previously for the online attempt) it got to the transmit step and then stopped on an error saying the Federal returns had to be filed at the same time with the state returns. Since I previously filed the Federal returns (of which the desktop version noted) I am unable to do this.  How do I transmit just the HI state return? The Federal and CA state returns were filed and accepted fine back in March.

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies