turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am done and paid, not it says I have a box 7 on a 1099 G that needs zeroed or removed...how the ***** do I do it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

I am done and paid, not it says I have a box 7 on a 1099 G that needs zeroed or removed...how the ***** do I do it?

Box 7 of your 1099-G includes any taxable Department of Agriculture payments.

If this does not apply to you and you need to delete your other 1099-G income, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click Federal on the left hand side.
  3. Under Your income and expenses, click Start next to Other 1099-G Income
  4. Answer no to the question Did you receive any of these payments reported on Form 1099-G?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received a 1099-G for my business (refund of workers compensation) and it reports the income in box 6 - taxable grants.  I can do find where I can enter income from 1099-G in my business schedule C in turbo tax.  The only place I can find to enter a 1099-G in in the personal section under other common income.  However, the 1099-G references my EIN number under Recipient's TIN not my personal SS number.  How do I enter this 1099-G in turbo tax?  Thanks so much for your help.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If the 1099-G is under your business name/EIN and you entered it in the Business Income section, you do not enter it again in the personal taxes section.  

@robertlstevens

The question is - where is the appropriate place to enter this income - under my business or in the personal section.  If under business - how and where do I enter it in turbo take.  There is no option to enter a 1099-G in the business section

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

This can be handled a couple of different ways.  You could skip entering the actual details of the Form 1099-G and enter the amount reported on the form as Other Income in your Schedule C.  

The other choice is to enter the Form 1099-G in the Personal Income section of your return and link the form to your business.  TurboTax will help you through this process if the information is reported in box 8 instead of box 6.  

The end result is to have the amount reported as income on the Schedule C.  If there is ever a question by the IRS, you will have your documentation showing the source of the income.  

To enter the Form 1099-G in the appropriate place in the personal section of your return, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “grant” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to grant
  • Click on the blue “Jump to grant” link
  • Answer the question on the screen with Yes
  • Select Other Government Payments reported on Form 1099-G and enter your information

@robertlstevens

JL81
Returning Member

I have the same problem as the original poster, even after trying all of the steps you specified (did so several times). Maybe this is a glitch within TurboTax? Please advise how to proceed. I'm entering 1099-G for unemployment income from D.C.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Start by deleting all the 1099Gs that are entered. 

In TurboTax online 

1. Click "Tax Tools" in the left hand menu
  2. Click "Tools"
  3. Click "Delete a Form" Find each 1099G
  4. "Delete"
  5. "Confirm Deletion"

Next click "Federal" in the left hand menu

Scroll down to "Unemployment"

"Show More"

"Revisit" "Unemployment" topic

Enter the 1099G form information

In TurboTax desktop you can use the forms view. 

1. Find each 1099G on the left hand side 
  2. Select it 
  3. "Delete Form" at the bottom of the page.

Then go back to step by step

Click "Federal taxes" tab

"Wages & Income"

"I'll choose what I work on"

"Unemployment"

Enter the form 1099G information

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies