turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am disabled and make less than 12,000.00 a year with no other income. Can I claim the interest paid on my mortgage?

I am a disabled and that is my only income so I don't fill out atax form. But could I deduct the interest paid on my mortgage even if I'm not required to file ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am disabled and make less than 12,000.00 a year with no other income. Can I claim the interest paid on my mortgage?

There is no benefit to doing so.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

No.

If you do not have a filing requirement, you would not be able to claim a deduction since you are not filing a tax return.  

If you were to file a tax return, you would only be able to claim a deduction for your mortgage interest if the total of all of your itemized deductions exceeded the standard deduction amount depending upon your filing status.

Standard deduction for 2020

Itemized deductions include items such as mortgage interest, taxes, and charitable contributions.  

Please see the attached link for additional information on the difference between the standard deduction and itemized deductions.  

Standard deduction versus itemized deduction

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

The IRS gives certain amounts as Standard Deductions. These are amounts you can deduct without claiming expenses like your mortgage.  Since you make less than $12,000 this year, it works to just take the Standard Deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies