Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am being asked to enter Parents taxable income from form 1040, line 11b...I do not have a line 11b, only 11. Any ideas what I should enter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I am being asked to enter Parents taxable income from form 1040, line 11b...I do not have a line 11b, only 11. Any ideas what I should enter?

That would be from a federal tax return 2019 Form 1040 Line 11b for taxable income

TurboTax Deluxe 2020 desktop has a bug here I think.

When on a dependent's Federal return, Wages and Income, Less Common Income, Child's Income (Under age 24), trying to complete form 8615, after a few screens it asks you to enter "Enter Parent's taxable income from their 2020".  But TurboTax tells you this in on the 1040 line 11b.  It should say line 15.

Am I correct? 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct.  Taxable Income is on Line 15 of the 2020 Form 1040.   There is no Line 11b on the 2020 form.  The statement in TurboTax regarding Line 11b is referencing the 2019 tax return and will be updated.  Thank you @dag14.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why do I need to enter my parents adjust gross income on my tax return if they did not claim me as a dependent?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

IRS Form 8615 Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income must be filed for any child who meets all of the following conditions.

1. The child had more than $2,200 of unearned income.
  2. The child is required to file a tax return.
  3. The child either:
    1. Was under age 18 at the end of 2021,
    2. Was age 18 at the end of 2021 and did not have earned income that was more than half of the child's support, or
    3. Was a full-time student at least age 19 and under age 24 at the end of 2021 and did not have earned income that was more than half of the child's support.
  4. At least one of the child's parents was alive at the end of 2021.
  5. The child does not file a joint return for 2021.

For children under age 18, unearned income over $2,200 is taxed at the parent's rate if the parent's rate is higher than the child's. If the child's unearned income is more than $2,200, use Form 8615 to figure the child's tax.

IRS Form 8615 is described here.

@taylorp0708

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies