turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How to update spouse SSN in place of ITIN. Last year I filed with ITIN number but now have SSN

Hello guys,

I have filed by Tax return for 2019 and applied ITIN for my spouse using w7 form at a Tax assistance center. It is done on feb 27, 2020. Around April 27, my spouse is eligible to SSN and applied for SSN and was issued a SSN. My tax return it not processed yet, as it is a Paper filing.

What should I do now?

Should I report the new SSN of my spouse to IRS before the ITIN is issued? ( Will they stop issuing ITIN and use SSN for processing in this scenario ?)

Wait for the ITIN to be issued and then report the SSN?

Wait for both ITIN issuance and Tax return processing to be complete and then report the SSN?

I could not find answers for this scenario anywhere online and the IRS telephonic lines are not accepting calls for live assistance and TAC's are closed till further notice.

Thanks for the help!!

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

How to update spouse SSN in place of ITIN. Last year I filed with ITIN number but now have SSN

You could try submitting your tax return with her SSN now - if her SSN is in the database you may even be able to e-file.  If you cannot e-file you can still mail the return in with the SSN to your usual processing location.  

When the ITIN office is open, you can ask them to withdraw the application.  

A second identical tax return will likely be ignored by the IRS so it won't have any adverse affect for you other than the extra work for you to prepare the second return. 

Filing with the SSN could have some benefits for you this year however, particularly in regard to the Economic Impact Payments that are being processed if your income is within the range that is eligible, as tax returns with ITINs disqualify the taxpayer from receiving any payment at all.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So it is okay to submit a duplicate tax return and get this processed before paper filing is processed

Will there be any issues other than the IRS rejecting one of them

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, it is okay.  The only issue would be as you described, one could be sent back/rejected. Since all of the other information will be the same it shouldn't cause any real issues.

@JGene Did you get the response from IRS for updating your ssn

KS261187
Returning Member

I just submitted the documents to irs and status says delivered front desk/Reception/Mail room. Can you please confirm if you received the same status?

No news yet. I did call about a month ago but they said just to sit tight. 

Did they say they got your request to update ssn? I thought around this time they don’t allow us to call

I just called them now and they will send a letter within 30 days about merging the SSN and ITIN. The person I talked to on the phone didn't seem to think the past returns would be updated to replace the ITIN with the SSN, however.

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

Past returns will not be updated, only the current year return.  

@JGene What the phone number you called them? I probably will call them tomorrow too because it’s been so long haven’t heard anything back from them

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Scroll to the bottom of this page.  Click on IRS phone numbers, then scroll some more 😉    TurboTax will edit out phone numbers from this public forum.....

@Jasontr90

@JGene  Did you get any notice letters from IRS?

No, I never did. Although it is two more weeks to go from the "30 days" after the last call that I made.

@JGene just wondered did they update your ssn yet?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies