Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report a few dollars of dividend? I do not have form 1099 DIV

I only received several dollars (below $10) of dividends last year. I see that I must report it. But how can I do it with Turbotax? It asks as if I must enter info from a 1099 DIV, but the financial institution did not issue me one.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

You start into the 1099-DIV section.

Then on the page where it's asking for your Financial provider, you don't....you just go to the bottom of the page and click on:
"Change how I enter my form"

then on bottom of the next page, click on 

"Type it in myself"

then proceed to enter your data manually. All taxable dividends are in box 1a  ( a subset of 1a $$ may also be in 1b...but you may have trouble figuring that out so you might have to leave 1b empty...but the tax on a few $$ is minimal )

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
SamS1
Expert Alumni

To enter a 1099-DIv:

After you have logged in and are in your return:

• Go to Search at the top of the screen.
  • then enter Form 1099-DIV in the search box. 
  • You will see a Jump To function that will take you to the 1099-DIV input screens. 
  • There add the 1099-DIV
  • At the financial institutions screen, Click 'I'll Type it myself".

The pandemic has affected your taxes in many ways. Including reporting in TurboTax the amount of stimulus money you received. Click Here for more information on how the Pandemic affected your 2020  taxes.

And I did all those you said already...

But it brings a screen where we can only enter it in a 1099 DIV format, with box 1a 1b and so on.... It never asks if I did not have a 1099DIV.... The only way I can enter the several dollar of dividend is if I enter it into the lace of box 1a. But a I said I did NOT receive a 1099 DIV. How can I enter my dividend information without entering it as if entering info from a 1099 DIV which I do not have?

If it was a dividend, you enter it on a self-created 1099-DIV....even if you did no   1099-DIV form was issued. 

On the manual entry page for the form, you  just enter the name of whatever financial provider credited the dividend to you...and then the $$.

The 1099-DIV  is used for Stock dividends and Mutual Fund dividend distributions.   

A Credit Union account issues so-called "dividends" too, but they are really just interest and go on a 1099-INT in box 1...even if no 1099-INT was issued.  Unless the "dividends" or interest came from individual US Govt bonds you held (or savings bonds)...then they go in box 3.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Okay so I enter the name of the bank and then below where it says box 1a, I enter the dollar amount, even if I was not issued a dividend and have no box 1a anywhere correct? So in other words, there is nothing something like "a 1099DIV was not issued " etc... correct?

Yes...but only if they actually issued a dividend to you, or credited one to your account.....but was it really some kind of a bank investment account, or bank stock ? 

and not just a savings or checking account?   ......Savings or checking account interest goes on a 1099-INT.

"even if I was not issued a dividend"   huh?    what do you mean by that?

No not at all. This is a common stock (GE) dividend. The financial institution did not issue me a 1099 DIV because it is under $10 as far as I know. So they did not issue me a 1099 DIV. Then How can I enter this information? I enter it as if I have a 1099 DIV into box1a? If not how?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies