turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to manually edit an error in forms mode?

Hi.  I'd like to know how I can manually edit a form on Turbotax desktop?  I know exactly what to enter, I just want to know how to enter it.   

More specifically, the CA (540NR) form of my 2017 state return has a mistake in Part II.  (I believe this is due to Turbo Tax Software bug that did not update an earlier incorrect typing after I corrected in the my Federal form, but this is beyond the point here).  So, I'd like to simply delete the left-over, which nicely fix the error. 

Please advise.  Thx in advance!   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Checkout this link:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4382868-how-can-you-manually-input-information-into-turbo-tax-form...

Re-Copied here:

1. Click on the Forms icon in the upper right to switch to forms mode and open the form that contains the line item you want to override.
  2. Right-click the line item and select Override.
    • On the Mac, choose Override from the Edit menu in TurboTax.
  3. Enter the value; it will turn red.
  4. Switch back to the interview by clicking Step-by-Step in the upper right corner.

To reverse the override, follow the same directions except choose Cancel Override in Step 2 (on the Mac, uncheck Override in the Edit menu).

When you run the final review, TurboTax will let you know if there are any overridden values in your return. If there are, you'll get an error message if you try to e-file your return.

Thx a lot, very helpful!    Just one last clarification: when I entered the Forms mode, the specific line I want to edit did not allow me to select override, not sure why.  I could however manually edit the number to the new correct value.  After my manual edit, I confirmed that my correction also adjusted the subsequent numbers in the rest of the form.  I then when back to the "interview mode" and was able to complete all checks without errors.  Does this mean my manual edit is not fully adopted, and i can efile?  

Please advise.  Thx in advance. 

Your answer did the trick.  I had a small box marked with X that was imported from previous year's program that had to be eliminated. The override worked.  However, it was repopulated when I went back to run through the step by step for the IRAs, so I had to do it again.  This time I saved the work immediately and did not go back to the IRA section.  My numbers remained where they were supposed to be through the e-file and printing.  Saved me $1500.  Thank you.

mirkhosro
Returning Member

The Override option is grayed out/disabled for all the forms in Forms mode of the macOS version of the software I'm working with. I tried everything but couldn't figure out how to actually override a field in the desktop version.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 5.42.46 AM.png

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Are you able to open the form and access entry boxes on the actual forms?  Try signing out of TurboTax and signing back in to re-establish links.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
robotico

You not only helped me fix and send my forms, but I found a $3000 adjustment in my favor. Thank you very much!

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax help article for more information.
How do I switch to Forms Mode in the TurboTax for Windows software?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies