Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file for stimulus if I am in prison or can I have someone do it for me

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

you can have someone do it for you.

You need an address on your form 1040 where your check will be sent.

OR

you can do it yourself if you can get the blank forms, sign and mail them

If someone else does it for you, they must have a written Power of Attorney from you.  Or, they can do it, print it out, and bring or send it to you to sign and mail.

Some points.

1. If you have access to a computer, you can file electronically with Turbotax, but you will need to create $1 of income, because you can't e-file with zero income.  You can add $1 of bank interest or "other income"; the IRS knows this limitation of their software and they won't object.

2. You can also file your own return using the paper forms and instructions and mailing them in, if someone can provide you copies of the form.

3. If someone else files for you, they should not file electronically, they should print and mail the tax return.  They will need to include a form 2848; this is an IRS power of attorney form for tax returns only, and both you and your representative must sign.  You will need form 2848 even if you have already given your representative a power of attorney. 

4. Your tax refund can only be direct-deposited into a bank account in your name (or a joint account, it must have your name and SSN attached to the account).  If you don't have a bank account, you can request the IRS mail a check.  When you file your return, use the address where you want the IRS to send mail, even if it is not your current living address (it can be a parent, a friend, etc.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies