turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

agpatel

How to correct State Wages in W2 Box 16

I moved from CA to NC during June 2021 and continued to work for my CA employer for the full year (as a remote worker). In 2021 W2 box 16, my employer reported CA and NC income based on a move date in September 2021, as I think they changed my designation to remote worker at that time  

I have imported my W2 in turbo tax. What is the best way to adjust my CA and NC income on state returns to reflect the actual move date of June 2021? Should I manually adjust Box 16 on W2 input form with the corrected numbers?

I have filed an extension. Hoping to get some guidance as some of you would have dealt with this in the past tax season.

Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The employer should make the correction and issue a corrected W-2C ... did you ask them to fix this yet ? 

agpatel

I have spoken to the company payroll team and they will  not be correcting the W2, as it is based in info in their system i.e. approval of remote work date. They have asked me to make the appropriate changes in the state tax return and keep relevant calculations, in case the state tax authority have follow up queries.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You can't change the box 16 amounts on your own. Since your employer won't change them, the simplest thing for you to do is just file the way the employer reported it.

The California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) is very aggressive about collecting every cent of income tax that they think you owe. If you report less California income than what your W-2 shows, you will end up having to try to convince the FTB that the W-2 is wrong. Since your employer does not agree, that will be very difficult.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies