turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How many times can I efile after error

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

You can re-submit your e-filed return as many times as necessary until the filing deadline in October.

However, we recommend that after three unsuccessful attempts (with the same e-file error), you print, sign, and mail your return. Some e-file issues cannot be resolved except by the IRS.

See the instructions below for TurboTax for desktop:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3401365

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tritz1369

I have used this site for 5 years last year I ammended my tax return. I was rejected this year 3 times for incorrect AGI which I know was entered correctly now when I try the e file is no longer an option on this site so how do I e file using Turbo Tax after I only have the mail option?@

Leokeyes

I am locked out so I am rejected from the ire because I sent it to many times with the wrong agii now I have the correct on scan I fix this

lisaoshman1964
Returning Member

How come I was told it couldn't be correct it it was only two dependents that I had to take out because I got confused cuz the 2018 I was doing it for my stimulus money

JLGreen1

I been rejected 5 times ,Can you please tell me which line did you find your AGI? Did you use your regular 1040 or 1040X. 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

On your 2019 tax return, your AGI is on line 8b of the Form 1040. 

When e-filing your return for the current year, use the AGI from the prior year's originally filed accepted return.

The current return will reject if the amended AGI amount is used. Do not use amounts from an amended return, a corrected amount from a math error notice, or a changed amount from the IRS.

My electronic filing was rejected 3 times by the IRS. Each time the problem was the AGI. I got a transcript from the IRS saying there was no record of my filing by paper last year despite the IRS cashing my check for the balance and before April 15. Can I try to file a fourth time and should I now use zero as my AGI since the IRS still has not processed my 2019 tax return. Are there limits to how many times I can attempt to efile.

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@Dmullally123 You can try to e-file using 0 as your AGI. For more information, please see: What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?

Thanks Ashley, I will efile again using zero as AGI as I have nothing to lose. I was worried that I might be locked out by the IRS but it does not appear that is likely. 

PatriciaV,

Can you provide a reference to this information (preferably on the IRS web site, or an IRS document), that there is no limit to the number of times an e-file can be attempted? I was told by a TurboTax "expert" that the limit is 6.
Thank you.

tjv

Have any other Peace Corps couples had problems with their federal tax returns e-filed through Turbo Tax being rejected because IRS thought they were duplicates?  How did you solve the problem?  I can’t reach anyone in Turbo Tax, IRS, or Peace Corps for assistance.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You can contact Turbo Tax customer support by clicking here @tjv

vcferlita

I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one getting the AGI error. I wonder what's causing to be such an issue this year.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

We understand you are having an experience with entering your AGI. Please follow the instructions in this link: (AGI Help Article). If this does not resolve your issue, what is the exact message you are getting?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies