turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rolando

How many people can use each TurboTax software?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
Doc5108

I think I understand your question.

Desktop Version of TurboTax:
The TurboTax End User License Agreement (EULA) for the Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business CD/Download versions allows you to install TurboTax on all computers owned by you. You may use your TurboTax software to prepare tax returns for you and your immediate family.

In accordance with IRS guidelines, TurboTax allows you to prepare and electronically file up to five federal (that is an IRS rule not TurboTax) and related state tax returns. Additional returns must be filed on paper and Mailed.
Rolando

Thank you.
smythj

The CD version of TurboTax allows you to prepare and e-file up to five federal returns. You can prepare more federal returns with the CD version, but they must be mailed in to the IRS. The ONLINE version of TurboTax only allows ONE return per user ID. This is a significant difference, make sure that you are aware of it when  purchasing the TurboTax software.

I see that you can do up to five federal returns with the CD software.  How many state returns can be filed?  Five?

@Driftless51 wrote:

I see that you can do up to five federal returns with the CD software.  How many state returns can be filed?  Five?

Five state returns can be e-filed.  Once the 5 e-files have been used then any other tax return, federal and state, have to be printed and mailed.

Using desktop software you get up to five federal e-files.  You can actually prepare more than five, but the additional ones have to be printed, signed and mailed.  You also get the software to prepare returns for one specific state.  There is a fee to e-file a state return  ($19.99 and mid-season it goes up to $24.99)  --you can avoid the state e-file fee by printing, signing and mailing in the state returns.  There is not a limit to how many state returns you can prepare for the one state you have the software for--but information flows from the federal return to the the state.  You cannot prepare "stand alone" state returns.

If you need to prepare a return for a different state, you have to purchase the additional state software.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

It says 1 per ID, does that mean I can't do myself and 2 other family members on the downloaded version ?

@2020taxtax wrote:

It says 1 per ID, does that mean I can't do myself and 2 other family members on the downloaded version ?

You can create, complete and file as many tax returns you want using the CD/Download desktop editions.  The software is only licensed to the purchaser of the software.  You can only be install the software on computers that you own.  

jliang7

The premium comes with 1 state for free. E-file cost varies by state I think? And for my state (IL) it is $20.

Early bird discounts are over so now state e-filing for desktop software is $24.99.  You can avoid that if you print sign and mail the state instead of e-filing the state.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jeffstorm
Returning Member

I verified the first answer in this thread by reading the EULA but don't find that you can prepare returns for "family".  Where does it state that?

Thanks

@jeffstorm wrote:

I verified the first answer in this thread by reading the EULA but don't find that you can prepare returns for "family".  Where does it state that?

Thanks

You can complete and file tax returns using the TurboTax software for anyone, it is not limited to family.  However, you cannot use the software if you are being paid to prepare the tax returns as the software is not licensed for paid tax preparers.

mhpr
Returning Member

Could I sell my computer to my father for $1, use his TT software on it, prepare the return myself, have him proof it and sign it as preparer then submit it electronically, then buy the computer back from him for $1?

He likely won't go for this way of "cheating" but would it satisfy the EULA?

That sounds silly and unnecessary.  Further--when you use TurboTax no one signs as the "preparer"-the return is Self-Prepared.  Paid preparers are not allowed to use TurboTax or sign a return as such on a return prepared using TT.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies