Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dandush

How do I record a startup investment on 1120 tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Any costs that you incurred to set up your corporation are converted to stock or paid-in capital. The total represents your basis in the company.

Record this on the Balance Sheet as Shareholders Equity, with an equal entry under Business Expenses. You may expense up to $5,000 in start-up expenses in the year your business begins. Any amount over $5,000 becomes an intangible asset that is amortized over 180 months.

See this link for more information: IRS Pub 535 Business Start-Up and Organizational Costs

On the other hand, if your corporation invested in a startup company, you would report this on the Balance Sheet as a long-term asset (not for depreciation).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you elect to expense up to $5,000 of expenses, you would debit expenses  credit cash (or A/P).

For the amount (if any) over $5,000 that may be amortizable, you would debit an asset account and credit cash.  Then when you amortize the costs, you would debit amortization expense and credit accumulated amortization.

There are some costs that may not be expensed or amortized...these deal with the corporate stock itself.  You would debit an asset account, such as intangibles or stock cost, and credit cash.

These cost do not increase your basis in the stock you purchased or received in exchange for contributions of cash or other property.

See also

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1120.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p542.pdf

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**

Help. I cannot find how to record my equity investment into the company for startup cash. I am using TurboTax business. The support phone person told me to call the IRS,  but I can’t believe no one can help.

thank you.

Well your investment is not income and as such is not reported on the income tax return for the business.  Recording the equity investment into the company is mostly a bookeeping/accounting issue because you bought into a business.  If this is your first year for the corporation then I highly recommend that you seek local professional assistance to get educated on what you need to do as the TT Business program is not user friendly and you will not get any reliable help from support.  

Thanks. I actually found it in the balance sheet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies