turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

How do I obtain an IP Pin for my minor/dependent?

Yes. You can apply for an IP PIN and find information in the IRS link below.

Get an Identity Protection PIN

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just want a pin on my son ssn so so no one can use it

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

You have to get an IP PIN from the IRS.  For information on how to get one, go to:  Get An Identity Protection PIN

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
yt2

How do I get an pin # for a minor child that lives with me since the end of 2018?

msells16

I filed form 14039 due to my adopted son's SSN being used by someone else and I received confirmation from the IRS that the documentation I sent did support identity theft.  However, when trying to get an IP PIN by creating an online account, I was unable to do so since the questions asked relate to me not my 5 year old.  Thus, it's almost impossible to obtain an IP PIN for a dependent.   Pursue a new SSN?

GiGi8634

What if the father isn’t on the birth certificate 

GiGi8634

Also what if he doesn’t take care of her or live in the household he hasn’t seen her in almost 4 years and had done nothing for her 

@GiGi8634 wrote:

Also what if he doesn’t take care of her or live in the household he hasn’t seen her in almost 4 years and had done nothing for her 

Go to this IRS website for an IP PIN - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

joyce317

I've tried multiple times I usually receive my children's ip pin in December nothing this year I was told I have to mail my return which I know is gonna take forever

For you to claim your depended if another parent already claimed her on his return is the only choice. Please don't forget to file Form 8332 to revoke the rights of the other parent with your return.

Slynn1990

If I am experiencing this issue but im unsure if it was identity theft or an estranged father who has not seen my child in almost 10 years would my only option be to paper file?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

The  IRS Identity Protection (IP) PIN is a six-digit number assigned to eligible taxpayers to help prevent the misuse of their Social Security number on fraudulent federal income tax returns. You can use the IRS online tool Get an IP PIN to obtain an IP PIN for your dependent.

I have two children and don’t remember seeing the IP pin in the mail.  I retrieved a pin online through some sort of e-verification.  Is this the IP Pin and is the IP pin typically the same number for both children?

@lo-marie-phillip wrote:

I have two children and don’t remember seeing the IP pin in the mail.  I retrieved a pin online through some sort of e-verification.  Is this the IP Pin and is the IP pin typically the same number for both children?

See:

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Chelsea Daughtry

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies