GrammaM4

How do I obtain an IP Pin for my minor/dependant? I have one, but we need one for her as well due to her father using her as a dependent and committing tax fraud.

Hello, is this the same process I'd use to obtain the IP PIN for a grandchild that I'm claiming as a dependent the first time for 2019 tax forms? Thanks for any help!

VictoriaD75

Yes. You can apply for an IP PIN and find information in the IRS link below.

Get an Identity Protection PIN

Antrenastone

I just want a pin on my son ssn so so no one can use it

DavidD66

You have to get an IP PIN from the IRS.  For information on how to get one, go to:  Get An Identity Protection PIN

yt2

How do I get an pin # for a minor child that lives with me since the end of 2018?

msells16

I filed form 14039 due to my adopted son's SSN being used by someone else and I received confirmation from the IRS that the documentation I sent did support identity theft.  However, when trying to get an IP PIN by creating an online account, I was unable to do so since the questions asked relate to me not my 5 year old.  Thus, it's almost impossible to obtain an IP PIN for a dependent.   Pursue a new SSN?

GiGi8634

What if the father isn’t on the birth certificate 

GiGi8634

Also what if he doesn’t take care of her or live in the household he hasn’t seen her in almost 4 years and had done nothing for her 

@GiGi8634 wrote:

Go to this IRS website for an IP PIN - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

joyce317

I've tried multiple times I usually receive my children's ip pin in December nothing this year I was told I have to mail my return which I know is gonna take forever

npierson7

For you to claim your depended if another parent already claimed her on his return is the only choice. Please don't forget to file Form 8332 to revoke the rights of the other parent with your return.

Slynn1990

If I am experiencing this issue but im unsure if it was identity theft or an estranged father who has not seen my child in almost 10 years would my only option be to paper file?

Irene2805

The  IRS Identity Protection (IP) PIN is a six-digit number assigned to eligible taxpayers to help prevent the misuse of their Social Security number on fraudulent federal income tax returns. You can use the IRS online tool Get an IP PIN to obtain an IP PIN for your dependent.

lo-marie-phillip

I have two children and don’t remember seeing the IP pin in the mail.  I retrieved a pin online through some sort of e-verification.  Is this the IP Pin and is the IP pin typically the same number for both children?

macuser_22

@lo-marie-phillip wrote:

See:

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin