Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I make a partial payment with my tax return instead of the whole thing?

A tax professional filed an extension for me and I paid most of my tax bill.  In TurboTax, how do I subtract that from my total tax due in order to pay the rest?  It looks like the only option is to pay all that it shows
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Simple ... choose the "mail a check" option so you can efile the return.   Then either mail a partial payment with the voucher that prints with the return in the PDF (put one line thru the amount paid and enter what you are actually paying)  OR  make a partial payment directly online at www.IRS.gov/payments

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You have to enter the payment that you made with the extension into TurboTax. Then your tax return will show the remaining amount due instead of your total tax. To enter the payment, type "tax payments" (without the quotes) in the Search box. Then click the link that says "Jump to tax payments." That will take you to a screen that says "Estimates and Other Income Taxes Paid." On that screen, scroll down to "Payments with Extension" and click the Start button for "Payment with 2020 federal extension."

Good catch ... payment with extension. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies