Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I look back at my return to find my answer to the question about how long my dependent lived with me in 2020?

My daughter was born in September so I should qualify for the recovery rebate for her but the application says I received my full amount and wont let me continue with amending my return. The only reason I cam think of is I didn't say she lived with me all year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I look back at my return to find my answer to the question about how long my dependent lived with me in 2020?

Click on My Info on the left side of the online program screen.  Edit the dependent.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Click on My Info on the left side of the online program screen.  Edit the dependent.

I already filed and need to amend my return. Is this the same?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you already filed, you would amend. A child born at any time during the year is considered to have lived with you the entire year.

First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2020 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.

When you're ready to amend, find your situation below and follow the instructions.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download

Tysm! Ok, so here is where I am experiencing an issue. I am trying to amend my return but when I get to the section about the Recovery Rebate, it says I received my full amount and don't qualify. I received $3200 and $3000, respectively, which is only me and the 4 dependents from my 2019 return. I double checked and I DID list my baby as living with me the entire year. I am at a complete loss as to what to do at this point. Do you have any suggestions? I called TT customer service and she had NO IDEA what she was talking about. Any guidance you have is greatly appreciated!

Did one of your children turn 17 in 2020?  

Your stimulus check is based on the number of qualifying people listed on your tax return for 2020. You don't receive a check for the new baby necessarily, it is just based on the number of qualifying people listed on your return. 

So, if you lost one qualifying person because they turned 17 and replaced that person with a new baby, you still have the same number of qualifying persons on your return.

Yes I did, that clears things up a lot. Thank you!

But for the new 3rd Stimulus $1,400 per person you should get it for all your dependents - no age limit!

ps.....please mark my answer above as Solved by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies