turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

emmavi92

How do I link my 1099-NEC to schedule c? The "review" keeps stopping me at box 1 of the 1099 and asking me to “double click to link to: schedule c”

whoever got stuck with the same problems should follow the instructions mentioned above.. thank you so much for sharing. i followed and i got it down 🙂 

How do I link my 1099-NEC to schedule c? The "review" keeps stopping me at box 1 of the 1099 and asking me to “double click to link to: schedule c”

I am having the same issue. I went through the same steps. Deleted the income and repeated all the steps and still the message is the same. What's worse is that I paid turbotax already. They prompted me to the payment page before they confirmed that my application is complete and ready to file. 

This was perfect, I went back in and deleted the 1099 NEC when it first showed up under income.  Then I went direct to Schedule C and added it there.  I had been on hold with Turbo Tax while doing this.  So thankful for your help. 

I had the same problem. Try this help I noted above (and am repasting below).... you have to go into the actual filing on the left side (if doing it web version) and delete from there then go reenter in the program: 

Go to Print and download/view your current return. See if you can find the error (in my case there were two 1099-NECs for the same job, one being correct and the other the error one). Then you keep that open and you can go to Tools and from there you can delete a file. I deleted the incorrect file and bam. All done and submitted!

I think it converted a 1099-MISC from last year into a 1099-NEC but then didn't delete it and I couldn't edit or change it.

hi @rajwan19tax , It might be okay, my owed tax amount didn't change once I fixed the problem.  It remained the same amount. 

Thanks so much.. I actually tried the same thing. I had two 1099 for some reason. So I deleted one and it worked. 

Meow_Gary

I’ve had the same issue too. I still have no clue what to do. Absolutely nothing I’ve entered in the box will let me proceed to file my taxes- it’s the only thing that continually “needs review”...even though turbo tax has already charged me for the services🙄

Okay, what I did was go back to the very beginning and pull up the wages tab. I deleted the 1099 NEC from there.  Don't worry, you will see the amount of your refund or amount owed change.  That's okay.  Then you go to the Schedule C and input it there.  You have to scroll down to find it.  I got the needs review about 15 times, until I did this.  It works, and then the amount of refund/amount owed went back to what it was before for me.  Hope this helps you.  You must delete it under the wages tab for 1099 NEC.  It won't work there. 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If double-clicking the box that shows Schedule C does not work, then your return may not have a Schedule C included yet.  There is not something you can type in that box to fix the problem, you have to enter a Schedule C.  

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC is not reportable directly on your tax return.  Just entering the information on that form is only one step.  Since it is self-employment or 'non-employee compensation' it must be associated with a Schedule C, even if there are no expenses being claimed. 

The information required for the Schedule C will include the type of business, the business name (or your name if there is no specific business name), the business address (or your address), etc.

Since income reported on Form 1099-NEC needs to be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to tie these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Try going back to the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry.  Use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-NEC” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-NEC
  • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you to the summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Use these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return.  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have a Schedule C in your return, edit it and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC plus any other income you received for that self-employed business.  

Don't forget you can also claim expenses related to your business.

After you are finished, the error condition should be eliminated. 

@Meow_Gary

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Meow_Gary

Same. I paid for Turbo Tax back in March, but it never let me actually file, because there was information that needed “reviewing” on “schedule C”... whatever the heck that is...

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Have you completed these steps:

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be included on Schedule C. If you entered the 1099-NEC but did not complete the Schedule C, you will get this error.

Revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry, by following these steps:

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find),
  4. Click on “Jump to 1099-NEC”
  5. Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return:

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  2. Type in “schedule c” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find).
  3. Click on “Jump to schedule c”.
  4. Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have created a Schedule C in your return, click on edit and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.  

Once you have completed this, the error should be eliminated. 

ash666

This answer helped me so much! Thank you!!!!

Tracib15

I cannot get this to work whatso ever. I have been totally stuck. Nothing is working

how can i fix this to finish up my taxes

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You will need to delete your 1099-NEC and re-enter it as self-employed income.

To do this please follow these steps:

1. Within your return in TurboTax Online search for 1099-NEC.
  2. Click the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Delete the 1099-NEC line with the trash can icon.
  4. Open or continue your return in TurboTax
  5. Search for self employment income (use this exact phrase, don't add a hyphen) and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results
  6. Answer Yes on the Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? screen

@Tracib15

Tracib15

Im confused there is no search bar.   Nothing working either. Why would i delete my 1099-NEC

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies