turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drenniks

How do I let TurboTax know that my spouse filed for me?

We filed jointly for the first time, and I want to let TurboTax know that we did file, but it's taking me through all the questions. Is there a way I can update this status so TurboTax knows?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

What do you mean let TurboTax know that you filed? Are you trying to transfer your last year's single return into this year? If you have already filed, you just abandon it. It is now useless if you started a brand new profile with your spouse.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

What are you trying to do?   You do not have to "tell" TurboTax that you filed a joint return or go through any of the screens to prepare a return yourself.

If your spouse already file a joint return then all of your combined information was supposed to be on that ONE joint return that has all of your spouse's information and income and all of your own information and income.   You do not file another return just for yourself.   Are you newlyweds who have never filed a joint return before?    Better have a very close look at what was entered on the joint return you think your spouse filed.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

What do you mean let TurboTax know that you filed? Are you trying to transfer your last year's single return into this year? If you have already filed, you just abandon it. It is now useless if you started a brand new profile with your spouse.

since your spouse filed a joint return you do not file a return and you do not notify the IRS. the IRS sees your SSN on the return so it knows a return has been filed for you.

drenniks

Yes we are newlyweds who have never filed before, and I know for a fact that all my taxes are on our joint tax filing. I just continue to get emails from TurboTax saying "Hey file your taxes". Should I expect TurboTax to automatically update since my taxes have been filed separately? This is basically a superficial question.

Just ignore the emails.  Your old account does not "know" that you filed a return with a spouse now.   If you and your spouse put everything on your joint return, you are fine.  Best Wishes!

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies