turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I know if we ever had to pay the alternative minimum tax (AMT)? If I don't know for sure, is it safe to just say "No, we didn't"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

How do I know if we ever had to pay the alternative minimum tax (AMT)? If I don't know for sure, is it safe to just say "No, we didn't"?

No, if you do not know for sure, please check your past tax forms.  Look for a Form 6251 AMT.  If you filed a Form 6251 in the past, you have paid AMT.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I have been using TurboTax for tax returns shouldn't it know whether I have paid AMT in prior year?  I have the same doubt on whether I have any carry overs

thanks in advance,

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you use the same TurboTax account year to year, that information will automatically carry over.

but I was not using the Web version of TurboTax.  I have been using the desktop version year over year and imports prior year’s file.  So if I don’t see those field filled I can safely assume I didn’t have the prior year?

Similarly for Capital Loss Carryover from 2018, TurboTax is asking me to fill in but if I did have any carryover from 2018 it would have been auto filled right?

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

For 2018, the 28% AMT rate starts when AMT income exceeds $191,500 for married joint-filing couples and $95,750 for others. You are allowed an AMT exemption, which is deducted in calculating AMT income. The TCJA significantly increases the exemption amounts for 2018-2025.

AMT would have been reported on Form 6251 in your tax return if it applied.

Carryover losses would be reported on Schedule D and the Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet.

If you used TurboTax in the past, your information should carryover into the current year. However, if you switched from a desktop version to online or vice versa, this will not happen automatically.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies