Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I know if my installment payment plan was accepted? My federal tax returns were accepted and I did receive a 1040-V for the initial payment amount. Is that enough?

@Critter-3 

TT instruction didn't tell me to send any form by mail(except voucher) or go to IRS site.
I can't wait longer because IRS has  already processed my return and sent me CP14 letter with deadline(~2 weeks). Waiting beyond deadline can lead to more serious consequences...

How do I know if my installment payment plan was accepted? My federal tax returns were accepted and I did receive a 1040-V for the initial payment amount. Is that enough?

Well you know what you need to do and how ... have at it.

@Aleksandr 

Same here.  Right after my last posts I called phone number on IRS website.  Around 6pm, JUST NOW FINISHING around 8:20pm. >_<

I spend 15 or so minutes going just through their automated menus (before ID verification, you have to go about 5-10 menus deep through nested automated menus), then I'm placed on hold around 6:20pm.  Around 7:10pm, I talk to an operator (which sounds 100% like they're working from home due to background noise).  They look up my IRS account, and apparently even though they recieved and approved the payment arrangement, system says arrangement was terminated June 27th, with no reason given.

I tell operator that I just want to pay it off and be done, and there's another number I have to call, because they're unable to process payments (probably because at home).  So after about 10-15 minutes with operator, I'm given another number.

I call the number and it's basically a Speak'n'Spell automation for processing IRS payments (which after an hour on hold I'm pretty much laughing myself into tears at this point, LOL). It's just about finished, and phone battery finally dies (ROFL)!

So I go to the website this second number suggests (it's stated in the message when they answer), fill in a few blanks, give some information, and within only 5-10 minutes at this website, I'm fully paid. (Definitely saved *two* PDFs of the confirmation, so should the IRS still come back saying that I owe money, I have one to glue to the tax collector's forehead, to be seen everytime they see their reflection.)

PS - As for the penalties, if you look at second page of IRS letter (CP14), it details what they're for.  Since I was never notified that arrangement was terminated at end of June (which is odd since taxes didn't close until July 15th this year), I've been assessed late fees and interest for July/August, and if not paid by September 7th, late fees and interest would continue per month.

PPS - Also, careful with payment plans, from the automated menu options, it sounds like all payment plans, regardless of length, would be assessed a $43 convenience fee. -_-

All the payment options are on the IRS website ... look here :  https://www.irs.gov/payments/online-payment-agreement-application

If we approve your payment plan, one of the following fees will be added to your tax bill. If you owe a balance over $25,000 you must make automatic payments from your checking account (Direct Debit).

Plan Options and Costs

Pay Now

• $0 setup fee
  • No future penalties or interest added

Pay amount owed in full today directly from your checking or savings account (Direct Pay)  or by check, money order or debit/credit card.
Fees apply when paying by card.

Short-term Payment Plan (120 days or less)

• $0 setup fee
  • Plus accrued penalties and interest until the balance is paid in full
After applying for a short-term payment plan, you can pay the amount owed directly from your checking or savings account (Direct Pay) or by check, money order or debit/credit card.

Long-term Payment Plan (Installment Agreement)  (Pay in more than 120 days with monthly payments)

Pay monthly through automatic withdrawals

• $31 setup fee (low income: setup fee waived)
Pay amount owed through Direct Debit (automatic payments from your checking account). Also known as a Direct Debit Installment Agreement (DDIA). This is required if your balance is more than $25,000.

Pay each month (non-Direct Debit)

• $149 setup fee (low income: $43 setup fee that may be reimbursed if certain conditions are met)

After applying for a long-term payment plan, pay amount owed through non-Direct Debit (not automated) monthly payments, including payments directly from your checking or savings account (Direct Pay) or by check, money order or debit/credit card.

Revise an Existing Payment Plan (Installment Agreement) or Reinstate After Default

• $10 fee, which may be reimbursed if you are identified as low income and certain conditions are met.

Get more information on other payment agreement options and fees.

@Critter-3 

I know what I heard; under the automated menus it stated "to pay over 60 days with a convenience fee of $43" or something to that extent, then went on to 90, 120, and 180 if I recall, all for $43 covenience.

Just telling what I actually expierenced, you know, in-person.

Weirdly, over the phone it never stated "low income", yet on website I found it as "low income".

Low income:
  • Apply (revise) online: $10 fee, which may be reimbursed if certain conditions are met
  • Apply (revise) by phone, mail or in-person: $43 fee, which may be reimbursed if certain conditions are met
https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay[product key removed]llment-agreements

PS - Maybe you're on to something though; maybe I do have nothing better to do than sit around making up things that I experienced with a random amount of $43.  Nah! xD

(Of course, you're also the one that stated that if someone submitted plan well before the change of where to set up plan, they're fine with nothing to worry about -- good thing I didn't take that advice at face-value either.  I mean, was stated in this thread that IRS make mistakes, yet info on their website, which could be dated for all anybody knows, is magically gospel.)

@Critter-3 

I know what I heard.  Options in automated menus for payment-options stated "paying over" 60, 90, 120, and 180 days if I recall, and all ended with "for a convenience fee of $43".

Just saying what I experienced.  Have better things to do than invent random convenience fees.

(Of course, you also stated that as long as I submitted my taxes well before the change of setting up payment plans, I should be unaffected; good thing I didn't take that advice at face-value either.)

EDIT: Anywho; after this whole mess and ordeal, zero notifications or alerts, or assistance from TurboTax, and it only came to my attention when the IRS sent me a collection-notice with late-fee penalties, to then spend 2 hours on the phone to straighten it all out -- it dawns on me, what the heck am I doing each year spending money on the extended/premium or whatever the more expensive package is called.  Thought one of the hyped selling points was having your back.  Next year will be first time in a long time I'll be going elsewhere than TurboTax.  (This isn't a  "I paid extra for collector item and it wasn't in box", it's a "I paid extra for better handling, protection, and support, did everything I was supposed to, TurboTax told me everything was set and I was good to go, but IRS still came knocking, with penalty late fees, which in other circumstances could hurt credit, payroll/income, even have legal liability" -- not being fooled into that gamble with TT again.  What exactly are we paying for if we still have to end up dealing with IRS directly???)

If you bought the audit protection service then if you are actually audited you can get help with the audit  ... but what you got was bill from the IRS for late paying penalties ... so even if you called the audit protection line they cannot help you with this situation. 

Sent in installment agreement request and $10.00 with voucher

$10.00 check was cashed but received no paperwork yet.What do I do?

Did you set  up a payment plan ?   The program doesn't do it for you any longer ... here was the screens that you should have seen telling you how to set one up ...

https://www.irs.gov/payments/online-payment-agreement-application

payment plan set 2.jpgpayment plan set 3.jpgpayment plan set up 1.jpg

Hi. how did you fix that problem?

same thing is happening to me. and I still don't get nothing on the Mail from the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies