Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jerbs

How do I get the "what-If" worksheet?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I know it can be hard to find.  But I think it's in the same place as before.

If you have the Desktop program you can do a What-If worksheet.  
Go to Forms Mode, click Forms in the upper right or on the left for Mac. Then click Open Forms box in the top of the column on the left. Open the US listing of forms and towards the bottom find the What-if worksheet. It's right under Estimated Taxes.  

Or try…Go into Forms View. Once there, at the top of the left column, click on the icon for "Open Form". A popup window will appear. In the text line, type the word "what" without quotes. You should see "what-if worksheet" appear as a selection choice. Double-click it to launch the form.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Did you look through your forms, upper right?

I know it can be hard to find.  But I think it's in the same place as before.

If you have the Desktop program you can do a What-If worksheet.  
Go to Forms Mode, click Forms in the upper right or on the left for Mac. Then click Open Forms box in the top of the column on the left. Open the US listing of forms and towards the bottom find the What-if worksheet. It's right under Estimated Taxes.  

Or try…Go into Forms View. Once there, at the top of the left column, click on the icon for "Open Form". A popup window will appear. In the text line, type the word "what" without quotes. You should see "what-if worksheet" appear as a selection choice. Double-click it to launch the form.

Is the "what-if" worksheet available with the TurboTax online product?

@benjwhite9 wrote:

Is the "what-if" worksheet available with the TurboTax online product?

No.   CD/download products only.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jmeysemb
Returning Member

The "What If" feature is still available in the forms section if you search for it using that name.  I used it last night.

There is one big problem with the what-if worksheet (I have tried it several times over the years and get the same result). 

The worksheet takes interest earned, dividends, and capital gains and just splits them in half, no matter who the income is assigned to. This makes it useless unless all of your income is earned.

Am I missing something? 

@bettypaystaxes wrote:

There is one big problem with the what-if worksheet (I have tried it several times over the years and get the same result). 

The worksheet takes interest earned, dividends, and capital gains and just splits them in half, no matter who the income is assigned to. This makes it useless unless all of your income is earned.

Am I missing something? 

Are you trying married filing separately?     The whatif is very simplistic.     MFS has too many variables for anything but a simply splitting.   It is a very rough estimate.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Yes, I am testing Married Filing Separately.  I am surprised that TT cannot split the unearned income properly, as the program specifically asks whom the income is assigned to. What is that used for, if not a determination of MFJ vs MFS?  

To say it is a "rough estimate" is generous. It is flat-out wrong. Hopefully, TT can fix this in the future. It would be very helpful  

Thanks for the reply. 

Thanks, Volvo.   Been looking for that for years!

@bettypaystaxes wrote:

Yes, I am testing Married Filing Separately.  I am surprised that TT cannot split the unearned income properly, as the program specifically asks whom the income is assigned to. What is that used for, if not a determination of MFJ vs MFS?  

To say it is a "rough estimate" is generous. It is flat-out wrong. Hopefully, TT can fix this in the future. It would be very helpful  

Thanks for the reply. 

The "whatif" is only in the desktop versions and has not changed or been updated in years.   I doubt that will ever update it since they now have "TaxCaster" with is much or robust.

https://internettaxconnection.com/turbotax-taxcaster-calculator/

yimtland

I found and have used the "what-if" worksheet for my Federal Tax modeling.  Is there a similar form in TurboTax Desktop for modeling my State Tax return?  Thank you in advance.

@yimtland wrote:

I found and have used the "what-if" worksheet for my Federal Tax modeling.  Is there a similar form in TurboTax Desktop for modeling my State Tax return?  Thank you in advance.

TurboTax does not have a what-if worksheet for state tax returns, only federal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies