turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Emsimon
Returning Member

How do I get a status on my unemployment tax refund?

I filed my taxes on 3/1 through TurboTax before the American Rescue Plan was passed. I'm a single filer, no dependents, two W-2s, and one 1099-G. Objectively, I didn't think my situation was that complicated. However, my tax transcripts have not been updated since May and I've received no form of communication that gives me any indication when I should expect to receive my additional refund for the taxes I paid on the $10,200 in unemployment. I cannot reach a live person via phone at the IRS to discuss this. The only thing I can do is check my tax transcripts online hoping something will change. This has gone on for months now... my question is what should someone like myself do in this situation? I've been told not to amend my taxes and to not worry, but I've lost full confidence in this process. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

Have you been able to recalculate your tax return to verify that you are, in fact, due a refund?  You can reach us via the Live Help icon in TurboTax if you need help generating an amended return for this purpose.  You won't actually file the amendment, just view it.  Once you verify that you are due a refund, you will probably want to speak with IRS.  However, IRS has announced that they will be processing these recalculations "throughout the summer."
The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Emsimon
Returning Member

Of course, I have checked multiple times via TurboTax amended return process to ensure I'm entitled a return. According to your software, I'm owed over $2,200 back. Also, I've tried more times than I can count to contact the IRS via phone. They are unreachable in regards to this situation. I'm a bit concerned that the "expert" response here was to ask me in a condescending way whether I knew I was due a refund or not and then to repost the same IRS call line support instructions that is plastered all over the internet by this point. What was the point of having this event? To provide a facade that you all know what's actually going on?

Hi EMsimon,

I'm in a similar situation and I thought the response to your question was quite helpful. Especially the info about the prompts and overrides.

Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

I apologize if you thought I was being condescending.  I did not mean to sound that way.  I think I am misunderstanding where you are seeing the correct refund amount.  I understand that you have checked in TurboTax.  Have you seen that refund amount show up on your transcripts in your IRS account at IRS.gov yet?  If not you will want to continue to try to reach IRS.  I personally have called at 7am four different days over the last three weeks and was able to get through within an hour.  After 9am, I have no luck at all getting through.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Emsimon
Returning Member

Hi Ronda-Y,

Unfortunately, those prompts are easily searchable online. Many people have posted them throughout the summer. Please let us know if you're able to actually reach a live representative. Most likely, they will let you know they are "overwhelmed" and can't take your call at this time and to try again later before having the machine hang up on you. If you are lucky enough to get through, you might want to buy a lottery ticket that day or avoid any thunderstorms. 

Emsimon
Returning Member

This is the problem. Like many others, my IRS transcript hasn't been updated since I received my initial return back in the Spring. I know for a fact I'm owed a return for tax I paid on unemployment. I have double-checked this via the amend process with your software. I think the BIG issue here is that you truly have no other insight or advice to give other than "good luck contacting the IRS."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies