turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jj281284

How do I file for my second stimulus check if I didn't file in2020?

I didn't file my 2019 taxes, how do I get my second stimulus check using my 2018 agi?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

you will file your 2020 tax return and as part of that return there is a 'stimulus settle up' section. If you are due additional money it will appear on Line 30 of Form 1040.  Everything is now based on your 2020 income and filing status; 2018 and 2019 do not matter. 

jj281284

It didn't give me that option... I'm doing taxes by myself do I need to have a tax pro do it?

if you are doing it yourself, then look to line 30 and the worksheet that will be provided to calculate it, 

Why are you doing it yourself? it can be complex and an error can cost more than paying someone to do it! 

Depending on your income level, you can use a number of the websites that offer to do tax returns  for free. Also, there are local VITA and AARP sites in most communities that will do it for free. 

ps -when you stated you are 'doing it yourself', I took that to mean (maybe incorrectly, you are doing it with pencil and paper!)

The stimulus checks are  an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the correct amount of both  stimulus payments by 1/27/2021 then  you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021—if you are eligible.  It will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments-for-individuals-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

At this point, we do not know yet how long  the new stimulus bill will  delay the filing season due to changes to the 2020 Form 1040, software programming, software updates, etc., etc.  Do NOT be in a hurry to file your 2020 tax return until more is known. Give some extra time to the IRS and the software programmers so that the software can handle the new 2nd stimulus, so that you can get it all by filing ONE time. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies