turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tye_7

How do I file for dependent

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Not quite sure what you are trying to do?  Do you have a dependent that needs to file his/her own tax return?  Are you trying to prepare your own tax return and claim a dependent?   Tell us more specifically what you are trying to do so we know how to help.  And what tax year are you asking about?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
tye_7

Hey and yeah I recently had a baby I wanted to claim him and I dont know how to change it from independent to dependent... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

"recently" to me is 2020.  if born in 2020 you can not claim the child until you file the 2020 return in 2021.

make sure you get an SSN for him. you'll need it to claim him. the same with the stimulus - you'll get it when you file for 2020

if he's a qualifying child, he would need over $12,000 in income before a return would be required.  kind of doubt that would be the case.  

tye_7

Okay and yes hes only 3 weeks old... also with this stimulus how do I do that? I know there eventually will be a second I know with a child involved it's a little bit more so how do I update it... or will I not be able to receive the extra since I did it as independent? 

If your child was born in 2020 you will receive any additional credit to which you were entitled when you file your 2020 taxes.  See question #30 here

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

There will probably be an extra line on the 1040 return to claim it.

The IRS is using 2018 and 2019 tax returns to look at and issue stimulus checks.  You cannot add a child who was born in 2020 now for a stimulus check this year.  You will be able to claim your child who was born in 2020 on your 2020 tax return when you prepare it in 2021.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies