turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bernaud1

How do i file a incorrect 1099g form on my 2020 taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Why would you want to enter or file an incorrect Form 1099-G on your 2020 tax return?

From whom?............. and for What?

if the 1099-G is for a State tax refund, those commonly differ form what you "think" the refund $$ amount should be.  The 1099-G is usually correct in that case, and you are not taking certain complications into account...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
RainerD

I just received a 1099g form from theCA EDD stating that I received almost $4000 in unemployment compensation when, in fact, I received ZERO. I had a claim in earlier in the year. They took forever to process it and I ended up cancelling it. Never received a dime. I guess turbo tax can't go anything about it, but I'll have to take it up with them since they also erroneously sent that incorrect info to the IRS. Not sure how to proceed.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You are correct that the 1099-G was reported to IRS, therefore I suggest you do not file your tax return until you get that corrected with the state issuing agency.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

so the 1099G actually goes back to the employer?

I figured it out, yes it does go back to employer it needs to be corrected by them because they filed the 1096 that goes before it.

klwa

Hello,

The IRS seems to be too busy to correct my 1099-G form before April 15 due date.  I have the correct numbers.  Can I submit my taxes anyways so I don't have to pay a penalty for late filing.

Thank You.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS is not going to correct your form 1099G.  Whoever issued the 1099G needs to correct it.  That is normally a state agency either the unemployment office or the revenue office for a state tax refund error.  You need to contact the issuer to request a corrected copy.  

The filing date has been extended to 17 May and you can request an automatic extension of the filing period to 15 Oct as well.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies