turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter interest income without a 1099? It keeps giving me an error because I don’t have a FEIN entered.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

How do I enter interest income without a 1099? It keeps giving me an error because I don’t have a FEIN entered.

If you are entering 1099-INT information manually rather than importing, you will not need to report the FEIN. 

Under the Federal menu on the left, choose Wages & Income. Under Interest and Dividends, choose Start/Revisit next to Interest on 1099-INT. If the interest income is already listed, choose the trash can icon to the right to delete. Then, click on Add a 1099-INT. In the bottom, right-hand corner, click I'll type it in myself. On the next screen, enter payer information and interest income in box 1. The screen will not require an FEIN.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That is exactly what I did, and every time it checks my return it gives me an error and says to review that interest.  When I click on review it shows a red asterisk and tells me I have to enter the FEIN number.

Chickeetaz
Returning Member

You must have something hung up in the application. Try this:

1. Leave your entries as is with the red flag.

2. Open the forms icon in the upper right-hand corner.

3. Find your 1099 Interest Form

4. Delete the entire form.

5. Save your return.

6. Exit all the way out of Turbo Tax

7. Sign back in and try the steps again.

8. This should reset your error.

If not, and you have purchased the software, I would do the following:

1. Delete the entry.

2. Save your return.

3. Uninstall the software.

4. Re-install, make sure to load all the updates.

5. Continue with your return.

Good Luck.

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

If you are still getting the error you should clear your cache and cookies. 

To clear these hold down you CONTROL, SHIFT, AND DELETE keys at the same time.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ChrisBoger
Returning Member

Does. Not.  Work.

Every single year I see this same answer, and it has never worked.  I spend more time trying to deal with less than $10 of interest than I do on the rest of my two state return.  No matter what steps you take, it requires the FEIN and will not let you complete the return without it.

Federal -> Interest & Dividends -> Interest on 1099int ->  Yes ( No kicks you out ) -> Continue -> Change how I enter my form -> Type it in myself -> ( Fill in form, which has the FEIN box despite annual protestation that it will not Bank name + Box 1 interest income ) -> Continue -> None of these apply -> Continue

NEEDS REVIEW MESSAGE.

In previous years I've had to resort to "other income" and typing in "Account interest" but this year I can't even find that.

There SERIOUSLY need to be a selection specifically for reporting interest income without a 1099 because interest rates are so minimal that you need $50k in an account to make the $10 threshold for them to send out the 1099.

This irritated me so badly one year that I went with a different preparer rather than fight it again, and I'm on the verge of doing so this year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies