Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter foreign source income by country

I have dividend income from several different countries.  In the Foreign Tax Credit interview section of TurboTax, I list all countries that generated dividend income per my 1099's.  However, after I enter the income number for one country, TurboTax does not ask me to enter the income numbers for the other countries I listed earlier in the section.  How do I get TurboTax to ask me for the income numbers for additional states beyond the first state I listed and entered?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

TT can support only one country per 1099.  Here is a suggested workaround .

This is an example of the preparation to fill out a form 1116 for taxes paid by 3 countries within a 1099-DIV.

They are:

a: RIC which includes all mutual funds/ETF”s

b: Canada

c: United Kingdom

Three fictitious 1099-DIV’s will be created.  The original 1099-DIV will be used for domestic income only.

Bring up a new blank 1099-DIV.  For convenience name the payer the same as the country it represents. In this case the payer is RIC.  From the broker’s supplemental info, insert into box 1a the ordinary dividends from any and all mutual funds/ETF’s.  In box 1b, insert all qualified dividends form all mutual funds/ETF’s.  In box 7, insert the foreign tax paid from all mutual funds/ETF’s.  That completes the 1st fictitious 1099-DIV.

Bring up a 2nd blank 1099-DIV.  Name the payer Canada.  In box 1a, insert all the ordinary dividends from Canada; in box 1b all the qualified dividends from Canada and in box 7 the tax paid to Canada. That completes the 2nd fictitious 1099-DIV.

Bring up a 3rd blank 1099-DIV.  Name the payer U.K. In box 1a, insert all the ordinary dividends from the U.K.; in box 1b all the qualified dividends from the U.K.  The U.K. does not withhold taxes, but TT must see an amount in box 7 during the interview.  Insert $1.00 into box 7 and subtract $1.00 from box 7 of either of the previous fictitious 1099’s.  That completes the 3rd fictitious 1099-DIV.

On the original 1099-DIV, subtract all the foreign amounts from box 1a so that only the domestic ordinary dividends remain. Subtract all foreign amounts from box 1b so that only the domestic qualified dividends remain. Delete the amount in box 7, the foreign tax paid.

If there are more than 3 countries, TT will automatically generate additional F1116 copies as necessary

If there are more than 6 countries, the screen with the header “Report foreign tax paid to XXX” will only display up to 6 payers. Additional payers are on the following screen.. 

Super helpful.  Thank you rogge1722.  Not sure why TurboTax doesn't make it a lot easier by simply having us enter all income for one country and then add another country until we are done entering all county income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies