turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter a 1099NEC it was not my business i worked for someone that gave this instead of a W2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I enter a 1099NEC it was not my business i worked for someone that gave this instead of a W2?

That is self employment income.  

Yes you are the owner of your own self employment business.  You are in business for yourself.  Use your own info.  The people or company that pays you is your customer or client.  You need to fill out schedule C for self employment business income.  You are considered to have your own business for it.  YOU are the business.

To report your self employment income you will fill out schedule C in your personal 1040 tax return and pay SE self employment Tax.  You can enter Self Employment Income into Online Deluxe or Premier but if you have any expenses you will have to upgrade to the Self Employed version.  How to enter self employment income

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

Hal_Al
Level 15

Although it may be news to you that you “have a business” (and most of the other people who get their first 1099-MISC); The IRS considers anything on a form 1099-NEC to be self employment income. Enter the 1099 income, at Other Common income / income from a 1099-NEC . TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C  for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & Medicare) on any profits greater than $432. These types of payments are frequently done this way. Your "employer" is not the only one.

There is a  way to contest the “employer’s” classification of you as a contract employee. That is to pay your share of the Social security tax on form 8919 .In TurboTax, type> form 8919 with 1099-NEC <in the search box.  After you enter your 1099-NEC, select that you got the 1099-NEC for another reason. Then select "My employer reported this extra money on a 1099-NEC but it should have been reported on a W-2" from the drop down list.

You also have to submit form SS-8 and the IRS will determine whether you or the employer pays the employer portion of the SS tax. You will probably also upset your employer, because the IRS may contact him about whether or not he properly paid wages.

Form SS-8 is not in TT but is here ===>>> http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss8.pdf
See this IRS site ===>>> http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc762.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies