Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I download Turbotax just purchased from Staples? Purchased a CD with free download, and Staples says download must come from Intuit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

How do I download Turbotax just purchased from Staples? Purchased a CD with free download, and Staples says download must come from Intuit.

You install the TurboTax program from the CD.  The federal return is installed from the CD.

If you are referring to the free state program download, that will not be available until sometime in December.

Enter your personal information in the Personal Info section of the program.  Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Download State.  After selecting your state the program will give you a date with the state program will be available.

Was there a card in the box?  This came with my CD but i got it directly from Turbo Tax.

2019 install card.jpg

This must be what it is referring to. I haven't picked up the CD yet at Staples--just saw that the order said "with free download". I assumed the software could be downloaded independently of the CD. I guess I jumped the gun, although the Staples order description was misleading. I will confirm all this when I pick up the CD. Thank you!

Thanks! Please see my reply below to VolvoGirl, but the order could have been referring to this as well. 

Yes you need the License Code this year.  This is all new this year so please let us know what comes with the CD.  And if you have any trouble downloading or installing it.

appears that the license code limits you to loading that particular CD on to no more than 5 devices; so you can share the CD with friends and relatives, but  it's no longer unlimited sharing.  However, you can still complete an unlimited number of returns but no more than 5 can be e-filed; the rest would need to be mailed,

You have never been able to share the CD or program.  You can only install it on computers you own.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/softwarelicense.jsp 

And no more than 5 could ever be efiled ... I am sure the license code is to clamp down on possible misuse of the program.  

agreed; however, I've always heard the efile limit is an IRS requirement; TT would gladly try and make $19.95 for as many efile returns as it could!!!!!

Sadly the devil is in the details :  Software is delivered via CD with a product license code for digital download

1.PNG

how do I enter my license code?

My Laptop does not have cd drive.  How do I download and enter license code.\?   I do not wish to pay two times.

Do you hear me?  There is NO cd drive.  How do I download and enter license code?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies