turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pdewald

How do I change my filing status to Married filing separately. It won't let me change from Head of Household filing, filing jointly, married -no

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

How do I change my filing status to Married filing separately. It won't let me change from Head of Household filing, filing jointly, married -no

You would select the "NO, filing separately or Head of Household" answer if you want your filing status to be "Married Filing Separately".  

You will then enter your spouse's identifying information and answer a few more questions to get to the correct filing status. 

Note that married filing separately vs married filing jointly eliminates several potential credits and deductions as well as using higher tax rates. 

Here is a link with more information on the filing status choice.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did that and it still puts me as Head Of Household and then requires me to include my spouses income info which I have no knowledge of and now way to get that info. Why won't it let me choose my own filing status?

Use Chrome browser incognito window or use Chrome and clear all browser data before signing into TurboTax.

To change to MFS:

• Search for filing status and jump to filing status
  • Edit filing status
  • Check Married and No - filing separately or filing as head of household
  • Answer the questions
  • if it does not change to Married Filing Separately then click that status to change if manually

Can a married person claim Head of Household filing status?

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies