turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I cancel a tax payment to the irs that I set up at turbo tax? I called the IRS and they said I had to do this through TurboTax. Please help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How do I cancel a tax payment to the irs that I set up at turbo tax? I called the IRS and they said I had to do this through TurboTax. Please help!

Assuming that you have e-filed the 2019 federal tax return and it was Accepted by the IRS:

Have no idea why you were told to cancel your payment through TurboTax, since the IRS has the procedure.

Go to this IRS website for information on cancelling a federal tax payment - https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Once the payment has been canceled, you can use the IRS payment website to pay the federal taxes owed on or before July 15, 2020 to avoid a failure to pay penalty and interest - https://www.irs.gov/payments

This is a problem for 2020 taxes.

The IRS also told me that only Turbo Tax can cancel the payment scheduled (mine is for April 2) as they (Turbo Tax) are the ones who scheduled it.  This is a real pain being sent in circles by both parties.  The new changes to tax law effected my taxes and I now owe less but no one will let me cancel the scheduled payment.  Turbo Tax you are going to see alot of this, the tax law changes effect everyone receiving unemployment from the pandemic who already filled their taxes before the change and had previously scheduled payments.  Please make it easier to make the change.

@mikekickme wrote:

The IRS also told me that only Turbo Tax can cancel the payment as they are the ones who scheduled it.  This is a real pain being sent in circles by both parties.  The new changes to tax law effected my income and I now know less but no one will let me cancel the scheduled payment.  Turbo Tax you are going to see alot of this, the changes effect everyone receiving unemployment from the pandemic who already filled their taxes and scheduled payments.  Please make it easier to make the change.

Have no idea why you were told to cancel your payment through TurboTax, since the IRS has the procedure.

Go to this IRS website for information on cancelling a federal tax payment - https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Once the payment has been canceled, you can use the IRS payment website to pay the federal taxes owed on or before May 17, 2021 to avoid a failure to pay penalty and interest - https://www.irs.gov/payments

Yes I saw that, but it does not change the fact that when we actually contact the IRS they say that Turbo Tax must cancel the payment if the payment has not yet taken place, just scheduled. I'd like to cancel a payment scheduled to take place weeks from now and only Tubo Tax can do that according to the IRS.  But Turbo Tax has no method set up to make the change.

From the IRS:

To modify your scheduled payment, please log into the website used to submit the payment (e.g., EFTPS, Direct Pay).

Scheduled PaymentsDate Tax Year      
Apr 2, 20212020   

I had the same info given to me yesterday when I called that number listed on IRS to cancel. I was told that I needed to go back to Turbo Tax who I scheduled it through or call the main IRS number and get help on individual taxes, that it was only for EFTPS (Electronic Federal Payment Tax System). So I tried the main number which has a recording they are too busy and you can not get through today. Turbo Tax has  also nothing on it's website of who to call to cancel your payment, only that the are waiting on the IRS  on how to move back your payment date with the new March 2021 filing extension. 

I decided to call the number I saw on the IRS website again this morning, and the woman canceled my payment asap and gave me a confirmation number!!! I asked her why I was told I could not do it  when I talked to someone yesterday, she immediately said that person is probably new and not reading their most current info. So call back that number and keep trying until you get someone experienced that knows their job!

@mikekickme wrote:

Yes I saw that, but it does not change the fact that when we actually contact the IRS they say that Turbo Tax must cancel the payment if the payment has not yet taken place, just scheduled. I'd like to cancel a payment scheduled to take place weeks from now and only Tubo Tax can do that according to the IRS.  But Turbo Tax has no method set up to make the change.

From the IRS:

To modify your scheduled payment, please log into the website used to submit the payment (e.g., EFTPS, Direct Pay).

Scheduled PaymentsDate Tax Year      
Apr 2, 2021 2020      

TurboTax cannot cancel a payment to the IRS, never could.

You can cancel the payment.  Go to this IRS website for how to cancel - https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

Use the IRS website to make a federal tax payment using Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies