turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I adjust or revisit my 2021 estimated taxes calculations in TurboTax after I file?

I've already filed my 2020 taxes. But, I've improved my income forecast for 2021 and I'd like to re-run the estimated taxes calculation for Federal and State taxes for 2021. However, I can't find a way to go back and do that in TurboTax now. How do I do that?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

How do I adjust or revisit my 2021 estimated taxes calculations in TurboTax after I file?

You have to be very careful not to change any of your original numbers other than the estimated taxes.

To get back into TurboTax

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Under Your tax returns & documents, select Show, and then select 2020.
  3. Now select Add a state (this reopens your return).
  4. Select State from the left menu (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the menu).
  5. On the Let's get your state taxes done right screen, select Continue and follow the instructions.
  6. Do Not amend your return
  7. Go back and change post your estimate tax information.

To post your Estimated Tax Information.

The W-4 communicates to your employer(s) how much federal and/or state tax you, and your spouse wish to have withheld from each paycheck in a pay period.

1. Start at Other Tax Situations
  2. Scroll down and select Other Tax Forms
  3. Select Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes
  4. Start entering your W-4
  5. Continue through the screens to
    1. Enter Your 2021 W-2 Wage Information
    2. Did you enter the estimated current withholding or did you leave it blank?
  6. Also be sure that the information for what you earned so far and the payment periods are correct.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

You have to be very careful not to change any of your original numbers other than the estimated taxes.

To get back into TurboTax

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Under Your tax returns & documents, select Show, and then select 2020.
  3. Now select Add a state (this reopens your return).
  4. Select State from the left menu (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the menu).
  5. On the Let's get your state taxes done right screen, select Continue and follow the instructions.
  6. Do Not amend your return
  7. Go back and change post your estimate tax information.

To post your Estimated Tax Information.

The W-4 communicates to your employer(s) how much federal and/or state tax you, and your spouse wish to have withheld from each paycheck in a pay period.

1. Start at Other Tax Situations
  2. Scroll down and select Other Tax Forms
  3. Select Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes
  4. Start entering your W-4
  5. Continue through the screens to
    1. Enter Your 2021 W-2 Wage Information
    2. Did you enter the estimated current withholding or did you leave it blank?
  6. Also be sure that the information for what you earned so far and the payment periods are correct.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

This solution worked perfectly. Thank you!

This doesn't work. When I sign into TT all I see are options to continue my 2021 tax return, which just opens the return and shows that it's been efiled and accepted. No way in to re-work the 2022 estimates.

@TaxingLife wrote:

This doesn't work. When I sign into TT all I see are options to continue my 2021 tax return, which just opens the return and shows that it's been efiled and accepted. No way in to re-work the 2022 estimates.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2021 online tax return.  Then follow the procedure as shown in this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/can-turbotax-calculate-next-year-s-federal-estim...

I'm not talking about an on-line return. The initial instructions didn't specify they were for on-line returns.

How do I do this with downloaded TT loaded on my computer?

@TaxingLife wrote:

I'm not talking about an on-line return. The initial instructions didn't specify they were for on-line returns.

How do I do this with downloaded TT loaded on my computer?

Continue the 2021 tax return you filed using the 2021 desktop editions.  With the 2021 tax return continued -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)

Click on Other Tax Situations

Scroll down to Other Tax Forms

On Form W-4 and estimated taxes, click on the Start or Update button

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies