turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I use TurboTax on an offline PC

I have used TT for many years and never needed a Internet connection.  I manually installed all updates and sent in my forms by paper.  I have a Linux PC for online use but the WIN 10 PC has never been connected to the Internet.  I have purchased the software and have a license code.  How can I proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

An Internet connection is required for activation. See the FAQs at the two links below. After you activate the product you can disconnect from the Internet.

Also note that there are no manual updates for the state programs. If you are preparing a state tax return you need an Internet connection to get state updates.

Minimum system requirements for TurboTax Windows software

Why do I need to connect to the Internet this year?

I too use Linux for connecting to the Internet and I am typing now from Linux.

If I have to connect to the Internet on my Windows virus magnet I will never purchase Turbotax again.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If you want to use TurboTax offline you will need the CD/Download version of TurboTax.  All your tax files will be on your PC none will be stored online.  However, you still have to connect to the internet to efile your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But how do you validate the software?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you have a Cell Phone I suggest you use the Mobile App.  I'm not sure if you could effectively use TurboTax on a computer that is offline.  The online version will certainly not work, and the CD Desktop version would not be able to Post Updates.  In addition you will not be able to E-File

You can get the App at:  App Store or Google Play

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@JohnB5677I do not see how you can effectively use TurboTax on a Cell Phone Mobile App as you indicate.  I have no interest in e-file, I send in the old fashion paper forms.  And it is very easy to update TurboTax manually.  So the only challenge with an off line PC is the software activation.  You never needed to be online in the past to activate.  This is the first year Intuit initiated that requirement.

So I bought the downloadable version for an offline PC (for security) because it is literally advertised as not needing and internet connection.  " You'll be able work on your taxes, even if you're not connected to the Internet."

So if I understand correctly, to be able to use this product securely, without an internet connection, I have connect to the internet with said "Offline Only" computer??? The entire reason I bought this version was to specifically NOT connect to the internet.

@ Crider wrote:

So I bought the downloadable version for an offline PC (for security) because it is literally advertised as not needing and internet connection.  " You'll be able work on your taxes, even if you're not connected to the Internet."

So if I understand correctly, to be able to use this product securely, without an internet connection, I have connect to the internet with said "Offline Only" computer??? The entire reason I bought this version was to specifically NOT connect to the internet.

You can "work" on the tax return offline, but you need an Internet connection to activate the software license, to download the latest program updates, download an included state program (if applicable) and to efile a return.

@Crider wrote:

The Only times you need an internet connection using the CD/Download editions is to get updates to the software and to electronically file (e-file) your tax return.

At this time of year when you install the software you should have an internet connection to get the latest update prior to starting your tax return since the software you downloaded may not be at the latest release.

Even more upsetting is that Amazon will not allow me to return it since I already tried to install it. 

I have been a loyal "Offline" user for over 20 years. Using the offline version because my finance and accounting machines are NEVER connected to the internet, using manual process for updating, and file paper. I use a number of financial products that have registration processes that allow for good security-first practices. 

I feel completely scammed by Intuit and this product's mis-advertising. They can count me as a lost customer due to their lack of concern for security and secure users.

If anyone is curious how you used to be able to use this product without a direct internet connection :

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke...

@ Crider wrote:

Even more upsetting is that Amazon will not allow me to return it since I already tried to install it. 

Since Amazon wouldn't refund it,  if you aren't satisfied with the product and don't want to use it, you can ask TurboTax Support for a refund under their unconditional 60-day moneyback guarantee.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

The instructions in the form will tell you what e-confirm/receipt from Amazon you'll need to submit.

@ Crider wrote:

If anyone is curious how you used to be able to use this product without a direct internet connection :

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke...

The manual update still has to come from the Internet.  But since you said "without direct", I assume you mean downloading the manual update on a different computer, then moving the update file to your secure computer via something like a flash drive, CD-R disc, etc.  That can certainly be done, although I'm sure your aware that using external media can also introduce malware hazards if not careful.   But starting this year, the TurboTax desktop product requires online activation to validate the license.    Also the manual update is for a Federal program and does not update any state program, if applicable.

That was exactly my thought.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies