turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

badbigdad

How can I install TuboTax 2019 when it causes error code 65535 with Windows 10?

Using the Administrator account, when I try to install TurboTax 2019, I get error code 65535 and the installation fails. I have Windows 10 build 2004.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

@badbigdad wrote:
Using the Administrator account, when I try to install TurboTax 2019, I get error code 65535 and the installation fails. I have Windows 10 build 2004.

Are you installing from a CD or a downloaded installation file?

Did you only recently upgrade to Windows 10 v 2004?  If so, I'm wondering if Windows update is still installing in the background or some installer process already running.  See this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-code-65535-unexpected-error/00/...

Anonymous
Not applicable

if Cd it or the drive could be bad - contact support to see if they'll push a download to you.  if download, the download could be corrupt - try to download again.   Are you trying to install TT while Windows is updating - then wait till windows finishes updating.  even though you're using an administrator a/c select to run as administrator.  

Szymonik

This is a known bug TurboTax has ignored for MONTHS. It's completely unacceptable that there is no fix for this.

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Error 65535: Unexpected error is a generic TurboTax for Windows installation error with multiple causes.

Solution

First:

1. Close the error window and try installing again.
  2. If that doesn't work, restart the machine and try installing again.

If you're experiencing this issue while installing from a TurboTax CD, download and run our fix-it tool. If that doesn't help, we've got additional steps for each operating system.

Windows 10

1. Right-click your taskbar and select Task manager.
  2. Look for Intuit update service in the Process tab and select End process.
  3. Switch to the Details tab and look for MSIexec.exe. Select End task for all that are still running. There may be more than one.
  4. Install TurboTax from the CD again.

Windows 8 and 10

Start with the Windows 7/Vista/XP solutions below. If none of those solutions work:

1. Right-click the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and select Task Manager.
  2. If the Task Manager does not have tabs in it, select More details.
  3. Select the Services tab and make sure the status next to msiserver is not Running.
  4. If the status says Running that means Windows is currently installing something, such as Windows Updates or another program. Make sure the other installation finishes and the msiserver status is Stopped before attempting to install TurboTax.

Windows 7 or Windows Vista

Try right-clicking the TurboTax icon and select Run as Administrator.

If that didn't help, or if you're using Windows XP:

1. Log on to your computer with administrator rights.
  2. Temporarily disable your online backup or security software.
  3. Install (or update) TurboTax.
  4. Re-enable the backup or security software you disabled in step 2.

If you continue to receive this error while installing TurboTax after following the instructions in the solution, other issues with your system that are causing this error. See Troubleshoot installing and running TurboTax for more help.

If the problem occurred while attempting to update through TurboTax, download and install a manual update instead.

If the above solutions don't resolve the error, please follow the link below to restart into Selective Startup to install the program.

Related Information:

@Szymonik

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RTB-1947
Returning Member

Has TT fixed this problem yet?  My workaround was to uninstall windows 10 feature update to 2004 and go back.  With 2004 installed I could not open any TT programs. 

Manage cookies