Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get 2018 Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization?

I cannot find that form anywhere in documents.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

It won't be found in documents (MyDocs).  Form 4562 can be found as part of your 2018 federal tax return assuming you had depreciated items on your tax return. 

When you sign into your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and then click on Show next to Your Tax Returns and Documents.   From there, choose 2018, then select Download/print return (PDF).   You may need to register before you can select this option.  This will download a full PDF file of your 2018 tax return to your computer that includes all forms and schedules.   The PDF will be many pages; Form 4562 will be one of those pages.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am a first time user of turbotax and nothing came up for may rental for Depreciation Amortization. Last year my Depreciation was 2184.00 I used MCRS  depreciation for assets placed in services in tax years beginning before 2018

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You would need a copy of your tax return from 2018 to see form 4562. You can get a transcript or copy from the IRS by using this link: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

It is possible that you are simply depreciating the house that you are renting. In this case, the depreciation period would normally be 27.5 years. So, if you knew when you first started renting the house, you could do a simply calculation to determine the depreciation taken in prior years.

Please remember that you can only depreciate the building, not the land it sits on. So, you would need to know the cost you assigned to the house to determine the correct depreciation.

Also, the cost of the house would only be listed on the first form 4562 you listed it on (the tax return for the first year you rented it), after that just the depreciation amount would show on form 4562.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

business soft ware does not let you claim house only land and does not put it on 4562 Depreciation

Anonymous
Not applicable

if 2018 was not the first year for depreciation and if no assets were added in 2018, form 4562 will not show,  you may have to print out the tax return or go into it and look at the asset history for each asset.   if you did not use TT in previous years, you may have to go back to the preparer or the software you did use to get the info.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies