Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I enter all 6 digits of my IRS PIN in Turbotax? The form is only allowing me to enter 5 digits.

Thank  you for your response. This was very helpful. I hope that Intuit will consider this a part of the checklist in Filing your Return section at the end. It never occurred to me that I needed to check the Unusual Situations area.

How can I enter all 6 digits of my IRS PIN in Turbotax? The form is only allowing me to enter 5 digits.

I have the same problem turbo tax says you make up one. This is total bulls*t!

@ mwoltz wrote:

I have the same problem turbo tax says you make up one. This is total bulls*t!

You're confusing 2 different kinds of PINs, as has been explained in this thread.  So if you have a 6-digit IP PIN, it sounds like you are not in the correct place.

Based on the thread title, do you need to enter a 6-digit IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN)?  If so, it sounds like you are trying to enter it in the wrong place.  An IP PIN is NOT  entered in the FILE section.   The PIN you can choose in the FILE section is a 5-digit PIN and has nothing to do with an IP PIN.   The IP PIN is entered in a completely different topic in TurboTax.    I'll tell you where to enter the 6-digit IP PIN, but when you later go to the FILE section you'll still have to electronically sign your return by choosing a 5-digit Self-Select PIN (which is on a screen with today's date and your birth date.)  

We also don't know if you are using Online TurboTax or desktop software (CD/download) so I'll tell you methods for both.   The first 3 methods are for ONLINE TurboTax; you can use whichever one you want.   The 4th method below is for desktop software (CD/download).

• With your return open, click in the top right on the Search icon (magnifying glass) to open a search box.
  • Enter the term IP PIN without quotes.  When entering, ignore the dropdown menu, and instead click the small adjacent magnifying glass on that same line.
  • Then click on Jump to IP PIN.

Or here's a second way:

• With your return open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then choose TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose TOPIC SEARCH.
  • Enter the term IP PIN without quotes.
  • In the selection list highlight IP PIN and click GO.

Or here's a third method--the direct navigation method:

• With your return open, in the left menu column, click Federal.
  • Then at the top of the screen choose  Other Tax Situations.
  • If this is your first time in that section, answer the preliminary questions, and it may ask you if you have an IP PIN.  If so, indicate "yes", and keep following the screens as it guides you to enter it.
  • If it doesn't, such as if you've previously been in that section, click on "See all uncommon tax situations" to see all the topics in that section.
  • In the "Uncommon tax situations" list, scroll down to Other Return Info, and expand to see the subtopics, one of which is Identity Protection PIN.

Method for desktop software (CD/download):

•  FEDERAL TAXES tab (Personal tab in Home and Business.)
  • Subtab Other Tax Situations.
  • Scroll down to topic Other Return Info.
  • Find subtopic Identity Protection PIN, and click START.

Thanks Mesquite for spelling out the full instructions. I did figure that out a few weeks ago when I first posted the question (I am frenchkl, the original poster of this thread, not mwoltz, whom you replied to). 

TurboTax, please change your form in the tools you provide (both Online and Downloadable Software! When you ask for the 4 digit pin that is unique to Turbotax, it would be very helpful to explain that the 6 digit IRS pin is entered in a different place in the form. In addition, Turbotax could check that Uncommon Tax Situation during the final review of the completed tax form or during the filing section of the software, as this is the more natural place for the lay person to expect it. 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for your feedback. Constructive feedback like what you've provided helps us to build a stronger product and stronger community. We appreciate your input. @frenchkl  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do all dependents have to provide and IP PIN? Even minors?

@mwoltz wrote:

Do all dependents have to provide and IP PIN? Even minors?

No.  Not unless you requested from the IRS an IP PIN for your dependents.

Johnkeller7808
Returning Member

I followed the directions and clicked on "Continue" but nothing happened after that.  No "Done" to indicate task completed.  

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Please ensure you've followed the steps below. I attached screenshots for reference:

@Johnkeller7808 

1. Sign in and Continue your return
  2. Click the magnifying glass (Search) located at the top of your return
  3. Search 'IP Pin'
  4. Click the 'Jump to ip pin' link
  5. This will take you to a page with the following question, "Did anyone in your family get an Identity Protection PIN from the IRS for this year's taxes?"  Select Yes
  6. On the next page titled, "Review your Identity Protection PIN info," select Add next to the person who needs to add an IP PIN
  7. On the next page, enter the PIN and select Continue
  8. Once you click Continue, you should be taken to a page that allows you to view, edit and/or delete any of the IP PINs you've entered.  Once you're done reviewing, if you have no other IP PINs to input, click Done
  9. You're then taken back to the Other Tax Situations main page.  From here, you can select File from the left menu if you're ready to complete and file your return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

An IP PIN is NOT  entered in the FILE section.   The PIN you can choose in the FILE section is a 5-digit PIN and has nothing to do with an IP PIN.   The IP PIN is entered in a completely different topic in TurboTax.    I'll tell you where to enter the 6-digit IP PIN, but when you later go to the FILE section you'll still have to electronically sign your return by choosing a 5-digit Self-Select PIN (which is on a screen with today's date and your birth date.)  

We also don't know if you are using Online TurboTax or desktop software (CD/download) so I'll tell you methods for both.   The first 3 methods are for ONLINE TurboTax; you can use whichever one you want.   The 4th method below is for desktop software (CD/download).

• With your return open, click in the top right on the Search icon (magnifying glass) to open a search box.
  • Enter the term IP PIN without quotes.  When entering, ignore the dropdown menu, and instead click the small adjacent magnifying glass on that same line.
  • Then click on Jump to IP PIN.

Or here's a second way:

• With your return open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then choose TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose TOPIC SEARCH.
  • Enter the term IP PIN without quotes.
  • In the selection list highlight IP PIN and click GO.

Or here's a third method--the direct navigation method:

• With your return open, in the left menu column, click Federal.
  • Then at the top of the screen choose  Other Tax Situations.
  • If this is your first time in that section, answer the preliminary questions, and it may ask you if you have an IP PIN.  If so, indicate "yes", and keep following the screens as it guides you to enter it.
  • If it doesn't, such as if you've previously been in that section, click on "See all uncommon tax situations" to see all the topics in that section.
  • In the "Uncommon tax situations" list, scroll down to Other Return Info, and expand to see the subtopics, one of which is Identity Protection PIN.

Method for desktop software (CD/download):

•  FEDERAL TAXES tab (Personal tab in Home and Business.)
  • Sub tab Other Tax Situations.
  • Scroll down to topic Other Return Info.
  • Find subtopic Identity Protection PIN, and click START.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies